Risotto Alla Zucca (Butternut Squash Risotto)
This Risotto Alla Zucca is perfectly creamy and delicious, made easy with butternut squash, fresh sage, and freshly grated parmesan cheese!
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tablespoon butter or other vegan butter substitute
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage (dried sage also works)
- a pinch or two of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup arborio rice (also called risotto rice)
- 5 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh sage and Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the butter.
Once the butter is melted, add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent.
Add the sage and salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Add the cubed squash. Stir everything together well and let the squash cook a little bit in the pan, softening slightly and just barely caramelizing.
Add the wine and stir as the wine reduces (cook for about 5 minutes until the wine reduces).
Turn the heat to medium-low and add the rice. Toss the rice in the squash mixture until it's coated and move it around the pan for about 1 minute.
Add the hot chicken stock (or vegetable stock) about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and waiting until the stock is absorbed by the rice until you add another 1/2 cup.
Repeat the process above until all the stock has been added and absorbed by the rice and a creamy sauce has formed, stirring constantly throughout.The squash will also soften considerably as you add stock and stir, and it will begin to fall apart and create an orange-coloured creamy sauce.
Serve immediately with shaved Parmesan cheese and freshly chopped sage or parsley.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 948mg | Potassium: 282mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6807IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 2mg