Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp Soup
This Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp Soup is packed with vegetables and bursting with Thai flavours! It's dairy-free and comes together in 30 minutes or less!
Servings 6 servings
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- zest and juice of one lime
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 400 ml (standard size) cans full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 20-25 uncooked shrimp (tails and shells on or off)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 2 cups brocoli florets (in bite sized pieces)
- fresh cilantro and lime wedges for garnish (optional)
Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil.
Once the oil has heated add the curry paste, honey, fish sauce, ginger, lime juice and zest, and salt and pepper. These are the aromatics of the recipe (the flavour-builders), so let them heat up nicely for several minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the coconut milk and stock, stir well and cover the pot, letting the soup simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
Add the uncooked shrimp, bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli and stir well to combine.
Cover the pot again and let cook for about 7-10 minutes, turning the heat to medium low.
After this time, the shrimp should be cooked through and the veggies should have softened slightly (you don't want them to be falling apart and mushy - they should still hold their shape in a soup like this).
Serve in large bowls with crusty bread for dipping, with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and some fresh lime wedges, if desired.
This soup can be stored in the fridge as leftovers for up to 2 days.
Freezing is not recommended.
Feel free to substitute light coconut milk (canned) for the full fat version. Using coconut milk beverages are not recommended as they contain too much water.
Serving: 1servings | Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 761mg | Potassium: 363mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3379IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 1mg