Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
This Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce is a healthy, vegetable-packed meat sauce that makes the perfect easy family meal over your favorite pasta.
Servings 8 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- Two 796 ml cans of crushed tomatoes I use low sodium
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup red wine
- a generous pinch each of sea salt and black pepper
- fresh parsley for garnish optional
Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat just until completely cooked through. Set aside.
Add the tomatoes, the beef, and all the other ingredients to your slow cooker.
Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat and to stir the sauce until it's mixed thoroughly.
Cover the pot of your slow cooker with the lid and cook the sauce on high for 3 hours or on low for 6-7 hours, stirring well every 2 hours or so.
This sauce is best served over some fresh, hot pasta and topped with a little bit of Parmesan cheese!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 200mg | Potassium: 681mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 2762IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 4mg