This Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce is a deliciously healthy meat sauce that’s perfect over any kind of pasta. This set-it-and-forget-it recipe is a family favorite, and it couldn’t be easier to make!!
*I originally posted this Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce in March 2016, but I’m updating this post for you, my dear readers, today with a brand new tutorial video! Enjoy!
Don’t you just love those old faithful standby meals? You know, those meals that are so easy and that you’ve made so many times you could practically make them in your sleep? I’ve shared a few of mine with you already, like these Oven Chicken Fajitas and this Easy Roasted Chicken Dinner, but this Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce is even better!!
The only thing about easy meals is that healthy food often takes lots of preparation and cooking time, so easy does not always mean healthy. Unless your slow cooker does it all for you, that is! This Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce is one of my favourite meals to make because it’s one of those set-it-and-forget-it dinners that taste like you spent all day slaving over a hot stove. And it’s packed full of healthy vegetables, which is more than you can say for most easy, kid-friendly meals! I have so many hilarious memories of my kids stuffing their faces with this sauce over whole grain spaghetti. If you have little ones, I’m sure you can identify with those strip-them-down-to-their-diaper-and-plunk-them-in-the-bath-afterwards meals…this is definitely one of those!
Love this recipe? Try my Chicken Milanese with Roasted Tomatoes and Spinach or this Italian Sausage and Brown Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash.
Another thing that’s great about this sauce is that you can customize it based on whatever you happen to have on hand. If you don’t have fresh carrots, add some sliced mushrooms instead for a more earthy taste. My kids will eat just about any vegetable if I hide it in a pasta sauce like this one, but feel free to customize this Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce recipe to your family’s tastes. It’s bound to become a family favorite at your house too!
I’ve been reigniting my love affair with my slow cooker lately and I just can’t say enough about how much easier dinner time has been! If you’re looking for even more slow cooker recipes to make your life easier in the kitchen, start with my Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Pork Sandwiches, or this AMAZING Slow Cooker White Bean French Onion Soup!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you enjoy this Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce recipe! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite stand-by easy dinner recipe?
Kitchen products I recommend:
Looking for even MORE Slow Cooker recipes? You’ll LOVE the ones I have linked below!
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this great main dish. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- Two 796 ml cans of crushed tomatoes I use low sodium
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots finely chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp dried parsley
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup red wine
- a generous pinch each of sea salt and black pepper
- fresh parsley for garnish optional
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat just until completely cooked through. Set aside.
- Add the tomatoes, the beef, and all the other ingredients to your slow cooker.
- Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat and to stir the sauce until it's mixed thoroughly.
- Cover the pot of your slow cooker with the lid and cook the sauce on high for 3 hours or on low for 6-7 hours, stirring well every 2 hours or so.
- This sauce is best served over some fresh, hot pasta and topped with a little bit of Parmesan cheese!