These Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes are the perfect easy meal or snack made with leftover mashed potatoes, cheese, ham, and all the fixings you love!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you, but my kids are in this phase right now where they’ve decided they no longer like basic foods like rice, or mashed potatoes. Thankfully they still wolf down salads, grilled chicken, and all kinds of fruits and veggies, but this potato-hating phase is starting to get to me. I’m always left with a mass of mashed potatoes after all the other leftovers are gone, and so I’m forced to get creative! These Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes are the PERFECT way to re-purpose leftover mashed potatoes AND they’re totally kid-friendly. Even if your kids are potato-haters at the moment like mine.
Not only is this recipe the perfect way to re-purpose leftovers, it’s also totally flexible. Feel free to add whatever you have in your fridge that you need to get rid of – diced red peppers, grated carrots, onions, leftover ham – and add whatever spices you want too! A little bit of cayenne for heat, taco seasoning for a Mexican twist…they sky is the limit. These Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes make a great appetizer or side dish, or even an easy meal idea with a side salad or some steamed veggies. Our family loves these Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite way to use up leftovers? I’d love to know!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Looking for even more delicious meal ideas like this one? Try these!
- Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- One Pot Creamy Enchilada Pasta
- Easy Honey Garlic Shrimp
- One Pan Sesame Orange Chicken
- Skillet Pesto Caprese Stuffed Chicken
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this easy snack. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
Cheesy Leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes (plain is best, but garlic mashed potatoes work too!)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I like a combination of cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon OR chopped ham
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (or 2 teaspoons freshly chopped parsley, if you have it)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt for flavour, at least)
- a small amount of vegetable oil for frying
- sour cream for serving
- Add the leftover mashed potatoes to a large bowl. They shouldn't be cold from the fridge if you can help it - let them stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before adding any other ingredients OR mash them up well again to break up the clumps with a warm potato masher.
- Add the cheese, flour, green onion, bacon or ham, eggs, garlic powder, thyme, and salt and pepper.
- Stir all the ingredients together very well until everything is fully incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- Form the mixture into 12 patties about 1.5 centimetres thick.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a small amount of vegetable oil (around 1-2 teaspoons).
- Fry the patties in batches (don't overcrowd your skillet!) for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown and completely cooked through.
- Enjoy warm with a dollop of sour cream, some more sliced green onions, and some extra cheese, if desired.