This Creamy One Pot Butternut Squash Soup is so easy to make and it’s the perfect comforting soup for fall! And it’s healthy, dairy-free, and vegan too!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Friends, I am FINALLY sharing one of my most prized recipes with you…this Creamy One Pot Butternut Squash Pasta has been a staple in my kitchen for so many years and I’m only just now getting around to sharing it on the blog for you all – almost 4 years later!!
Our family absolutely loves healthy soups in the fall and winter seasons and this Creamy One Pot Butternut Squash Soup is one of our favourites. It’s quick and easy to make, it calls for fresh, seasonal ingredients, and my kids eat it up and ask for seconds. Seriously. Many of my readers who also know me personally have been asking me for this recipe for years. Embarrassing as it is, I’m finally sharing it with the world!
One of our favourite things about this recipe is that it’s vegan, which means it’s also dairy-free. My husband follows a dairy-free diet and so this Creamy One Pot Butternut Squash Soup is on regular rotation in our kitchen. It makes a great lunch or dinner, and it freezes very well, making it a great meal prep recipe! Just make a big pot on the weekend and portion it into containers for weekday lunches!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Creamy One Pot Butternut Squash Soup as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite soup for fall? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Tools I Recommend:
Like this recipe? You’ll LOVE these:
- Crock Pot French Onion Soup with White Beans
- Easy Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup
- Rustic Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Best Ever One Pot Beef Stew
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this hearty recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
Creamy One Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon powdered ginger)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or use chicken stock for a non-vegan soup)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (or use half and half for a rich, non-vegan soup)
- fresh thyme sprigs, coconut cream (or heavy cream) for garnish
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper, and thyme, and saute until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Add the cubed butternut squash and toss in the onion mixture.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir to combine (You might need to add a little more or less stock, depending on the size of your squash. The liquid level should be just slightly lower than the squash).
- Add the lid to the pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the soup reaches a boil turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is very tender when you pierce it with a fork.
- Remove the soup from the heat and add the coconut milk.
- Puree with a hand-held immersion blender, or puree in batches in a regular counter-top blender.
- Serve immediately with a garnish of fresh thyme and some coconut cream or yogurt, or store in airtight containers in the fridge or freezer.