This Easy Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup is the perfect soup to make with only 5 pantry ingredients! It’s creamy and smooth and it’s easy to make in under 30 minutes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you but there’s almost nothing better on a cool, rainy day than some delicious, creamy tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. This Easy Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup is one of our family’s favourite easy soup recipes lately and we’ve been enjoying it at least once a week! I know you’re going to love it too!
I’ve been making homemade tomato soup from scratch for years using roasted fresh tomatoes but lately with the current worldwide pandemic, food shortages, and limited trips to the grocery store I’ve had to find new ways for us to enjoy our favourite foods. This Easy Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup is a copycat recipe for everyone’s favourite canned tomato soup, but it tastes SO much better! It’s made with basic pantry ingredients like garlic, onion, tomato puree (pureed canned tomatoes will do) and some simple herbs and spices, and in under 30 minutes you can be enjoying a big bowl with some grilled cheese sandwiches for dipping!
My Blendtec Blender (affiliate link) is one of my favourite kitchen tools for healthy soups like this one – don’t get me wrong, I love using my hand blender (affiliate link) in a pinch to save time, but a high-powered blender just does the BEST job with ensuring your pureed soups are extra smooth and creamy!
How to Make Homemade Tomato Soup
- Use garlic and onions – garlic and onions are the base for SO many recipes and this one is no exception. Mince your garlic and onion finely and saute for several minutes until the onions are soft and the garlic is fragrant.
- Use canned tomato puree – canned tomato puree minus the seeds and skin (in Europe we call it Tomato Passata) is a great way to add authentic tomato flavour to your homemade tomato soup without much effort all!
- Don’t forget the spices – adding some dried basil to this soup makes it extra delicious and adds so much flavour!
- Make it creamy – how you make this soup creamy is up to you! We like to use a can of full fat coconut milk (some of our family members have a dairy allergy), but you can use heavy cream, half and half, whole milk, or any other dairy-free milk you desire!
Looking for more healthy soup recipes? Try this Easy Roasted Vegetable Soup or this Slow Cooker Lemon Ginger Chicken Soup recipe!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this easy soup recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite easy soup to make with pantry ingredients? I’d love to know!
Looking for more delicious and healthy soups like this? Try these:
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Easy Homemade Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion finely minced
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup white wine optional, leave it out if desired.
- 500 grams Tomato Passata approximately 17 ounces canned tomato puree
- 5 cups chicken or beef stock use vegetable stock to make this soup vegan or vegetarian
- 2/3 cup half and half cream substitute heavy cream for more richness, whole milk for a lower fat version, OR dairy-free milk, or one 14-ounce can of coconut milk to make it vegan
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions are soft and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the basil, salt and pepper.
- Add the wine (if using) and let the wine reduce almost completely.
- Add the Tomato Passata and stir well to combine. Continue cooking the mixture over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until the tomato darkens in colour slightly (this will help remove some of the sharpness and intense acidity from the tomato flavour).
- Add the chicken or beef stock (I like to use beef stock in this recipe for richness, but chicken or vegetable stock work well too) and stir to combine.
- Cook well over medium-low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cream. Stir to combine, and then puree with a hand blender (or in your blender) until creamy and smooth, and serve.