This Easy Slow Cooker Beef Ragu Pasta is comfort food at its finest, and a super simple weeknight meal that the whole family will love!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Winter is the perfect time for all things comfort food! We’ve been enjoying so many delicious comfort food recipes lately and this Easy Slow Cooker Beef Ragu is one of our longtime favourites! It’s so meaty, and it makes the perfect hearty and comforting meal on a snowy day!
Speaking of snowy days, we’re home in Canada at the moment! It’s been a great trip so far (we’ve been living in Europe for the last few years where the winters are milder than here!), but our decision to visit for the holidays means we’re left dealing with the bitter cold of the Canadian prairies! Not to worry, we’ve got warm winter boots, wool socks, and we’re drinking lots of hot tea to keep us warm!
What makes this Easy Slow Cooker Beef Ragu recipe even better is that it’s one of those set-it-and-forget-it recipes! Just a few minutes of prep, walk away for hours, and come back to a delicious comfort food meal? What could be better than that!!?!
Looking for more comfort food meals perfect for winter? Try my Crock Pot White Bean French Onion Soup, or this Easy Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Easy Slow Cooker Beef Ragu as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite winter comfort food meal? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Looking for even more comfort food meals? You’ll LOVE these:
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds stewing beef cubes
- salt and pepper for seasoning the beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups red wine (substitute beef broth and 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 7 cups canned crushed tomatoes (or use canned pureed tomatoes)
- shaved parmesan cheese and fresh herbs for serving, if desired (optional)
- Heat a large skillet (I prefer cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add the oil.
- Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper on all sides and place in the skillet to brown. Be careful not to overcrowd the beef, or it will steam and not brown. Brown the beef cubes on all sides, in batches. Don't worry about cooking the beef through at this stage - just go for a deep golden brown colour on the outside.
- Remove the beef cubes to a plate when they've finished browning and add the onions, garlic, carrots, and mushrooms to the hot skillet.
- Saute for a few minutes until the onions and carrots are softening and the mushrooms have begun to release their juices.
- Turn off the heat and add the browned beef and the sauteed vegetables to the pot of your slow cooker.
- Pour in the wine, add the herbs and the crushed tomatoes.
- Stir everything together until well combined.
- Turn on your slow cooker and cook on high for 5-6 hours or on low for 8-10 hours.
- Before serving, shred the beef in the sauce (sometimes removing the pieces of beef to a plate or cutting board helps, returning it to the sauce after shredding).
- Serve over Linguine or Papardelle noodles (long, flat noodles) prepared according to the package directions, with some freshly shaved parmesan and fresh herbs, if desired.