This Crispy Oven Fried Chicken is baked to crispy perfection in the oven with a delicious balance of herbs and spices! It’s easy to make, lower in fat, and it’s juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside! And it’s ready in under 30 minutes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Y’all, I’m not even going to pretend for a second that I know anything about good old southern fried chicken. I’m not even American, for crying out loud, and I’ve barely even visited Texas or any other southern state. Basically, I’m trying to say that I’m most definitely NOT an authority on the traditional “fried chicken” that perhaps many of you, my dear readers, are used to. But that doesn’t stop me from loving some good crispy chicken, now does it?
I have to say that this Crispy Oven Fried Chicken is perhaps the BEST chicken recipe I’ve ever made. I’m not a huge fan of breaded chicken in general, because it’s just not that good for you, and I’ll always opt for chicken that’s crispy and packed with flavour with a nice, thin breading, and that’s exactly what this Crispy Oven Fried Chicken recipe is!
I’ve tried tons of these oven-fried chicken recipes and I think I’ve come up with what my family likes the best – I’ve modified my friend Ashley’s recipe (her blog is The Recipe Rebel) a few times and finally landed on this Crispy Oven Fried Chicken recipe that I am SO happy with.
If you want to get this recipe just right, here are 4 tips to make this Crispy Oven Fried Chicken extra crispy and perfect every time:
- Preheat your sheet pan and pre-melt the butter! Preheating your sheet pan will encourage that extra crispy crust because the chicken will begin to caramelize as soon as it hits the hot pan and that hot butter.
- Make sure your oven is nice and hot! I bake this chicken at 425 degrees Fahrenheit which cooks it quickly (20 minutes or less!) and keeps the meat inside nice and juicy while the outside develops that crispy crust.
- Be generous with the spices and seasonings! The intense savoury flavour of this chicken is one of the best things about this recipe.
- Use bone-in chicken! This helps create that juicy interior that goes so well with the crispy exterior!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you like this Crispy Oven Fried Chicken recipe! Let me know in the comments below, do you love fried chicken?
Looking for even more main dish recipes? Before you grab the recipe for this Crispy Oven Fried Chicken at the end of this blog post, check out these delicious recipes below!!
This Easy One Pan Sweet Ginger Glazed Pork Tenderloin is the BEST pork tenderloin you’ll ever try!!
My Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Pork recipe is to die for! And SO easy!
This Best Ever Honey Garlic Chicken recipe is an old family recipe that has stood the test of time!!
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
This Crispy Oven Fried Chicken is baked to crispy perfection in the oven with a delicious balance of herbs and spices! It's easy to make, lower in fat, and it's juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside! And it's ready in under 30 minutes!
- 4-5 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse bread crumbs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 12 medium bone-in chicken drumsticks, with or without skin
- fresh or dried parsley for garnish (optional)
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and place a large sheet pan in the oven to preheat.
Measure out the butter and set aside.
Add the flour, breadcrumbs, seasoning salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, chili powder, and cayenne pepper (if using) to a medium bowl and whisk well to combine.
Dip the chicken pieces into the breadcrumb mixture one at a time, making sure the chicken pieces are well coated on all sides. Spoon a little more of the breadcrumb mixture over top of each piece of chicken to create a thick coating.
Set the coated chicken pieces on a plate.
Add half the butter to the hot pan in the oven and allow the butter to melt until foamy. At the same time, melt the other half of the butter in the microwave and set it aside.
Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken pieces on the pan in the butter as quickly as possible (you don't want the pan to cool down at all).
Drizzle the other melted butter over the top of the chicken pieces.
Bake for 20 minutes, flipping the chicken pieces over exactly halfway through the baking time (at the 10 minute mark).
Remove the chicken pieces from the pan immediately after baking and place on a rack until ready to serve (over some paper towel or a plate to catch any drips).
This chicken is best served immediately with a sprinkling of fresh parsley (if desired).
I like using whole wheat breadcrumbs I make at home from leftover bread, but Panko breadcrumbs work in a pinch too. The best kind of breadcrumbs to use are coarse crumbs, which you can usually buy at your local supermarket bakery section.
If you're reheating this chicken as leftovers, it's best to reheat in the oven (instead of the microwave) to achieve that crispy exterior.