These Healthier Oven Fried Chicken Tenders are the perfect way to enjoy that fried chicken taste without all the fat! They’re baked to perfection with a crispy crust and the perfect blend of herbs and spices, and only about 350 calories per serving!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
One of my favourite things to do in the kitchen is to make-over recipes to be healthier and tastier than their originals. This Healthier Oven Fried Chicken Tenders recipe is one of my favourite recipes to make for my family because it’s packed with delicious herbs and spices (read: FLAVOUR!) and it’s made with minimal fat, especially when you compare it to anything deep fried. We don’t really do deep fried foods in this house, and these Healthier Oven Fried Chicken Tenders are the perfect lower-fat choice if you’re craving that fried chicken taste – at only 350 calories for a very generous serving!
I’ve already shared my Crispy Oven Fried Chicken recipe with you, made with chicken drumsticks and baked to crispy perfection. These Healthier Oven Fried Chicken Tenders are similar, but they’ve got even more delicious herbs and spices and an even crispier exterior with a tender and juicy interior. And if you’re looking for side dishes to go along with these Healthier Oven Fried Chicken Tenders, I’ve got you covered! Try these Rustic Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes, these Crispy BBQ Potato Wedges, this Best Ever Creamy Coleslaw, or even this Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad for a lighter option!
If you want to get this recipe just right, here are 6 tips to make these Healthier Oven Fried Chicken Tenders extra crispy and perfect every single time:
- Preheat your sheet pan and pre-melt the butter! Preheating your sheet pan will encourage that extra crispy crust because the chicken will begin to caramelize as soon as it hits the hot pan and that hot butter.
- Make sure your oven is nice and hot! I bake this chicken at 425 degrees Fahrenheit which cooks it quickly (20 minutes or less!) and keeps the meat inside nice and juicy while the outside develops that crispy crust.
- Be generous with the spices and seasonings! The intense savoury flavour of this chicken is one of the best things about this recipe.
- Use fresh chicken breasts! The fresher the meat, the more juicy and tender it will be.
- Don’t over-bake! Stick to 10 minutes or less per side and you’ll be left with the perfect texture.
- Use Vegetable Oil Cooking Spray! A little cooking spray can go a long way to create that crispy exterior without all those added calories. A mix of a little butter and a little cooking spray is the perfect combination. Try to choose a natural brand that contains fewer additives.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you like these Healthier Oven Fried Chicken Tenders as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite side dish to enjoy with fried chicken? I’d love to know!!
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Looking for even more delicious chicken recipes? You’ll love these:
Healthier Oven Fried Chicken Tenders
These Healthier Oven Fried Chicken Tenders are the perfect way to enjoy that fried chicken taste without all the fat! They're baked to perfection with a crispy crust and the perfect blend of herbs and spices!
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips (about 1-inch wide)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- vegetable oil cooking spray
Preheat your oven to 435 degrees Fahrenheit and set aside a sheet pan.
In a large bowl or plastic Ziploc bag, add the flour, breadcrumbs, paprika, seasoning salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and cayenne pepper. Toss or stir well to combine.
Add the chicken strips to the flour mixture and toss very well to coat.
Add the butter to the sheet pan and place it in the oven to preheat until the pan is hot and the butter is melted.
Distribute the butter over the pan using a spoon or pastry brush, and place the coated chicken strips in the butter on the sheet pan.
Spray the tops of the chicken strips with the vegetable oil cooking spray just before placing the pan in the oven.
Turn the chicken strips after 10 minutes in the oven. Spray with a small amount of additional vegetable oil cooking spray when you turn them, if needed.
Bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until both sides are crispy and the chicken tenders are cooked through.
Serve immediately with your favourite side dishes!
Discard any leftover flour/breadcrumb mixture immediately (you will be left with some extra after the chicken has been coated).
*This recipe was orginially adapted from my friend Ashley’s recipe