These Classic Dairy-Free Garlic Mashed Potatoes are vegan and dairy free, and they’re the perfect traditional side dish for any family meal!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Raise your hand if you love mashed potatoes!! I am such a huge fan of mashed potatoes and I’m excited to be sharing this Classic Dairy-Free Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe with you today. It’s one of our family’s favourite recipes and I make it AT LEAST once every week to enjoy with grilled or roasted meats and a heaping side of veggies.
I’ve mentioned before that my husband has a dairy allergy, so most of the recipes I make have a dairy-free option. I’ve recently discovered a new ingredient that our family is absolutely LOVING: Oat Cream! It can be found at your local health food store in the refrigerated section, and it’s a lovely mild-tasting alternative to heavy cream that’s both dairy-free and vegan. I’m not personally a fan of a lot of dairy-free soy or coconut products for recipes like these Classic Dairy-Free Garlic Mashed Potatoes because they often have a really strong flavour that overpowers the dish and makes it taste too soy-like or coconut-like. But oat cream has a very mild, almost dairy-like flavour that just disappears into these delicious potatoes and you’d NEVER know they were dairy-free!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
If you can’t find oat cream at your local store, don’t worry. Before I discovered it I made these Classic Dairy-Free Garlic Mashed Potatoes all the time without the oat cream and they were still absolutely delicious and ultra creamy. So, feel free to leave out that ingredient and this dish will still turn out great!
LOOKING FOR MORE HOLIDAY SIDE DISHES? CLICK HERE FOR ALL MY FAVOURITE HOLIDAY RECIPES!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love these Mashed Potatoes as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite main dish to serve with mashed potatoes?
Kitchen products I recommend:
Check out these other easy comfort food recipes below!
- Roasted Turkey Breast with Cranberry Bacon Stuffing
- Easy Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Maple Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Roasted Potato Casserole
- Easy Classic Scalloped Potatoes
- Easy Crispy Rosemary Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Rosemary Dill Roasted Potatoes
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY STRESS-FREE HOLIDAY MEAL IDEAS AND RECIPES?
GET MY EASY NO-FAIL HOLIDAY MEALS E-COOKBOOK!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- 7 large Yukon Gold potatoes (or any white or yellow potatoes), peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup oat cream, optional (coconut cream or your choice of dairy-free yogurt also works well)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Add the peeled and quartered potatoes to a large pot and add water just until the potatoes are covered.
- Add the sea salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue simmering until the potatoes are fork-tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes and add the garlic, vegan butter, oat cream (if using - it's totally optional), and sea salt and pepper to the pot.
- Mash the potatoes by hand until smooth, combining all the ingredients together while mashing.
- Fold in the freshly chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.