These Best Ever Creamy Mashed Potatoes are a family favourite recipe that’s perfect for the holidays! Simple mashed potatoes baked to creamy perfection with butter and cream cheese!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you but there are just some recipes that remind me of my childhood. It’s almost as if I could close my eyes experience the tastes and smells again! These Best Ever Creamy Mashed Potatoes are a family favourite recipe my Aunt used to make every single Christmas dinner. They’re perfectly boiled, mashed and then whipped with butter, cream cheese, and garlic, and then baked to crispy perfection in the oven. I mean, what’s better than that??!
How to make Garlic Mashed Potatoes
One of the cool things about this recipe is that the potatoes are infused with the flavours of fresh garlic and thyme as they boil! Adding fresh garlic to the potatoes after cooking would create too strong a flavour, but adding fresh garlic cloves to the cooking water allows the potatoes to absorb the flavour without it becoming overpowering. Before mashing, simply remove and discard the garlic and thyme.
These potatoes are SO perfectly creamy thanks to the butter and cream cheese, but they’re not diet potatoes! (Is that even a thing!?) Although they’re high in fat and calories they make a great addition to any holiday table, and they’re ALWAYS a hit!
Looking for more holiday side dishes? CLICK HERE for all my favourite holiday recipes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love these mashed potatoes as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite holiday side dish? I’d love to know!!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for even more delicious recipes? You’ll love these:
- Maple Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Bacon Dressing
- Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad
- Butternut Squash Pasta Salad
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Best Ever Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold or Russet Potatoes about 20 potatoes, peeled
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic peeled
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and peel the potatoes, cutting them into about 1-2 inch chunks (be sure all the chunks of potato are the same size so they cook evenly).
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and fill the pot with hot water just so the potatoes are covered. Add the garlic, thyme and salt, and stir well.
- Set the pot over high heat on the stove and cover. When it reaches a boil, continue cooking, covered over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a large lasagna pan or casserole dish (slightly bigger than 9-inches by 13-inches), and set aside.
- When the potatoes are done, drain the potatoes and remove the garlic cloves and thyme sprigs.
- Add the potatoes back into the pot and mash well with a potato masher (by hand).
- Add the butter, cream cheese, garlic powder and onion powder, and some salt and pepper (you can always add more salt and pepper later, so start with a few pinches of each) on top and replace the lid. Wait for a few minutes so the heat of the potatoes can warm up the other ingredients.
- Use a hand mixer to mix everything together until the mixture is creamy and smooth, and everything is incorporated. Don't over-whip...this will create glue-y sticky mashed potatoes.
- Spoon the mashed potatoes into the baking dish and smooth out the top.
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20-25 minutes, or just until the top gets crispy and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.