This Low Carb Cauliflower Mash is the perfect Keto alternative to mashed potatoes! Rich and creamy with the perfect starchy texture, and only 5 grams of net carbs per serving!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
If you’re living a low carb lifestyle mashed potatoes can be one of the hardest things to give up. This Low Carb Cauliflower Mash is seriously SO delicious you won’t even miss mashed potatoes! It’s ultra creamy & smooth, it’s oh so cheesy, and it goes perfectly as a side dish with roasted meats or fish. Trust me, you’re going to LOVE it!
Kitchen Tools for Making Cauliflower Mash
The only kitchen tools you’ll need for this mashed cauliflower recipe are a good pot and steamer, and a food processor. I’ve used this KitchenAid food processor (affiliate link) for years and it’s been an excellent addition to my kitchen. I’ve also used this Cuisinart food processor (affiliate link) in the past and it’s great too!
Can I make mashed cauliflower in the blender?
I recommend making this cauliflower mash in the food processor and not in the blender, as blenders can cause the cauliflower mixture to become too fluid and liquidy. The food processor does a great job of creating a smooth mixture without the cauliflower mash losing its thickness and creamy texture.
Can I make this mashed cauliflower ahead of time?
Yes! This mashed cauliflower can be made up to 1-2 days in advance and stored in the fridge in an airtight container. Simply reheat in the microwave, or bake in a baking dish in the oven until hot. Freezing is not recommended as the mixture can become too fluid when thawed.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Mash
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- one medium head of cauliflower
- sour cream
- Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
How to Make Low Carb Cauliflower Mash
Making Low Carb mashed cauliflower is SO easy! Follow my PRO TIPS for the perfect mashed cauliflower every time!
- Steam the cauliflower. Steam the cauliflower until soft.
- Steam the cauliflower WITH the garlic. To infuse even more flavour, add the garlic to the pot along with the cauliflower as it steams. This will add a delicious garlic flavour without the over-powering nature of fresh, raw garlic.
- Use a food processor. Mashed cauliflower is SO much creamier when mixed in the food processor!
- Don’t forget the cheese. Add some parmesan cheese to add structure AND flavour to your mashed cauliflower.
- Choose full fat sour cream. This will keep the carb count low and the flavour on point!
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add as much salt and pepper as you prefer, or use the suggested amounts in the recipe below.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this low carb recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite low carb side dish? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Looking for even more delicious meal ideas? You’ll LOVE these ones I’ve linked below!
- Creamy One Pot Chicken Enchilada Pasta
- Thai Chicken Spiralized Zucchini Salad
- Ginger Soy Grilled Chicken
- White Wine and Herb Marinated Chicken
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Skillet Pesto Caprese Stuffed Chicken
- Honey Garlic and Lime Chicken
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY STRESS-FREE HOLIDAY MEAL IDEAS AND RECIPES?
GET MY EASY NO-FAIL HOLIDAY MEALS E-COOKBOOK!
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
Low Carb Cauliflower Mash
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (approximately 600 grams or 6 inches in diameter)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Add a steamer insert or steamer basket to a large pot and fill the pot with water just under the seamer. Place it over high heat on the stove.
- Wash and prepare the cauliflower by breaking the florets into medium-sized pieces. Try to make sure all the pieces are a similar size so they steam evenly.
- Add the cauliflower to the steamer, along with the garlic. Add the lid and let the cauliflower steam until soft (about 7-10 minutes).
- Remove the cauliflower and the garlic cloves from the pot and add them to your food processor while hot.
- Add the sour cream, Parmesan, salt and pepper (to taste) and process on low speed just until the mixture becomes creamy. You may have to scrape down the inside of the bowl of the food processor to ensure everything is incorporated evenly and there are no chunks of cauliflower left.
- Add the cauliflower mash to a bowl and garnish with the butter (let it melt over the hot cauliflower mash) along with some sea salt and pepper (if desired).
- Serve alongside all your favourite dishes in place of mashed potatoes.