This grilled chicken recipe features a delicious Asian-inspired 6-ingredient chicken marinade made with soy sauce and fresh ginger. Ginger Soy Grilled Chicken is a sweet and savoury grilled chicken dish for summer! It’s the best easy grilled chicken recipe for your next barbecue, or serve it with some rice and sauteed vegetables for an easy weeknight meal!
*I originally shared this grilled chicken recipe in July 2015. I’m updating the post today with new photos!
Looking for some great side dishes? Try my Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges with Sweet Curry Aioli, or this Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
In case you haven’t noticed from any of my recent posts, I’m doing a lot of grilling lately and making the most of summer! Grilling is one of the reasons I love cooking in the summertime as much as I do. Does anybody else notice how much easier it is to eat healthily when you can grill?? Even the leanest of meats are so juicy and the flavour possibilities are endless!
This Asian-inspired recipe is a reader-favourite and it’s one of the most popular recipes on my blog! I thought it was time for some updated photos that showcase just how delicious this chicken actually is. It’s one of our family’s favourite grilling recipes for summer because you can serve it alongside almost any side dishes thanks to its mild flavour, and the marinade works well for any cut of chicken.
Grilled Chicken Marinade
For me, the best marinades are made from ingredients that I already have on hand and this ginger soy marinade is no exception. It’s made from a simple combination of soy sauce, fresh ginger, garlic, honey, some lime juice, and sesame oil for a perfect flavour balance that’s a little bit sweet, a little bit salty, and a whole lot delicious! And it’s embarrassingly easy to throw together too, so that’s always a plus!
Grilled Chicken Recipe Serving Suggestions
I often serve this Ginger Soy Grilled Chicken with some brown rice and sauteed Asian veggies for a weeknight meal, but it goes great with salads or pasta dishes too. And I’ve even shredded the meat off the bones and enjoyed it over an Asian-inspired salad for lunch the next day. It was delicious! Trust me, you’re going to love this recipe!
This chicken is great to make for a barbecue or party because it’s quick and easy to prepare and the mild Asian-inspired flavours complement a variety of dishes. It’s also a tasty option for a healthy weeknight meal!
I hope you enjoy this grilled chicken recipe! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite meat to grill this summer?
Ginger Soy Grilled Chicken
- 8 bone-in skinless chicken thighs you can also use 6 skinless legs or breasts
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce use gluten-free soy sauce if you prefer
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 4 garlic cloves finely minced or pressed
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- chopped green onions garnish optional
- Start by combining the sesame oil, lime juice, honey, soy sauce, grated ginger, minced garlic, and salt and pepper in a shallow baking dish. Whisk these ingredients together with a fork and set everything aside while you prepare the chicken.
Add the bone-in, skinless chicken pieces to the baking dish with the marinade, making sure the chicken pieces are well-coated in the marinade. Cover the dish with a lid or some plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours
This is a dish that you can prepare earlier in the day and leave it to marinate for several hours until it's time to grill.
- When it's time to grill, remove the chicken from the fridge and let it rest at room temperature while you preheat the grill.
- When your grill is ready, turn the heat down to medium-low (if your grill is notoriously hot like mine is, then grill on low to be safe) and place the chicken pieces on the grill.
Leave them for about 8 minutes, making sure you allow the bottom side to caramelize before turning. Flip them when they've achieved a nice brown colour on the bottom side and let them grill on the other side on medium-low (or low) for another 8 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (use an instant read meat thermometer).
- Remove them from the grill and let them rest for 2-3 minutes. Garnish with some chopped green onions and serve!
More Grilled Chicken Recipes
Looking for more easy grilled chicken recipes?
You’ll LOVE this Easy Grilled Chicken Souvlaki!
Give these Dry Rub Barbecue Chicken Skewers a try!