This Easy Potato Salad Recipe is a classic potato salad recipe that’s perfect for every summer backyard barbecue! It’s easy to make and packed with flavour! You’re going to love this crowd-pleasing side dish recipe for summer!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Summer is almost here and what better way to celebrate than a good old classic Easy Potato Salad recipe!? This classic recipe is a family favourite recipe that makes an appearance at almost all our backyard barbecues!
Ingredients for Easy Potato Salad
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- green onions
- hard boiled eggs
- sour cream
- dijon mustard
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- salt and pepper
- white wine vinegar
How to Make Easy Potato Salad
Making homemade potato salad is SO easy!
- Choose the right potatoes. Not all potatoes are created equally and the best potatoes for potato salad are waxy potatoes like white potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, and even new potatoes.
- Don’t overcook the potatoes. Cooking the potatoes just until fork tender ensures the potatoes keep their shape and you won’t end up with a mashed potato salad.
- Keep the flavours simple. Using basic spices and high quality sour cream and mayonnaise is the best way to enjoy all the classic potato salad flavours!
- Make the dressing ahead. Making the dressing ahead of time gives time for the flavours to blend and develop and will create a super flavourful salad.
- Refrigerate before serving. Refrigerating the salad for several hours before serving creates optimal flavour and texture!
LOOKING FOR MORE KID-APPROVED MEALS?
Get my 1-Week Kid-Friendly Meal Plan for busy families!
Looking for more delicious summer salads? You’ll love this Strawberry Spinach Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Vinaigrette Dressing and this Easy Classic Taco Salad!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite easy side dish for summer? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I Recommend
Looking for more delicious summer side dishes? You’ll love these!
- Easy Classic Macaroni Salad
- Easy Classic Pasta Salad
- Best Ever Taco Salad
- Crispy BBQ Roasted Potato Wedges
- Berry Walnut Spinach Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- Bruschetta Chicken Arugula Salad
- Honey Lime Fruit Salad
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY & HEALTHY SUMMER ENTERTAINING TIPS, TRICKS AND RECIPES?
GET MY EASY HEALTHY SUMMER ENTERTAINING E-COOKBOOK!
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
For the Dressing:
For the Potato Salad:
- 3 lbs white potatoes (white or Yukon Gold potatoes are best for potato salad)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onions
- chopped fresh dill, smoked paprika, and/or chives for garnish (optional)
- To a large mason jar or bowl add the mayo, sour cream, mustard, salt and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dill, and vinegar.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together (or cover the mason jar and shake to combine) and set the dressing aside.
- Wash and chop the potatoes. You can peel them first, or leave the peels on - your choice.
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and add water just until the potatoes are covered with water.
- Add the pot to the stove on medium-high heat and wait for the water to boil. Once the water begins to boil, turn the heat down to medium, cover the pot and let the potatoes cook for about 8-10 minutes. You'll have to check on them every few minutes to make sure they don't over-cook. You'll know they're done when you can pierce one with a fork without too much force but all the pieces are still intact.
- Use a colander to drain the potatoes and rinse them under cold water until they cool to room temperature.
- Once the potatoes are cool, be sure to let them dry for a few minutes before assembling the salad. If your potatoes are wet the dressing won't stick to them and you'll end up with a mess. The best way to do this is to lay them out on a clean kitchen towel for a few minutes.
- While you're waiting, chop the celery, hard boiled eggs, and green onions.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl and add the dressing. Toss the potatoes until they're well coated. Add the celery, eggs, and green onions, and toss gently.
- If you're serving this dish at a dinner party or to a crowd, now's a good time to transfer it to a clean bowl. Tossing the salad in this creamy dressing creates quite a mess.
- Garnish the top with some chopped fresh chives, a sprinkle of smoked paprika, or fresh dill, and refrigerate until you're ready to serve!
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.