These Lemon Garlic Shrimp Skewers make the perfect addition to any healthy meal! Marinated in fresh garlic, lemon, and white wine, this grilled shrimp recipe is perfect for summer barbecues or grilled indoors any time of year!
Since the new year began I am definitely on a health kick. I’ve been enjoying delicious smoothies, salads, and lots of lean proteins. These Lemon Garlic Shrimp Skewers are one of my absolute favourite lean protein sources because they’re so low in fat and incredibly delicious!! Luckily, my family loves them and so we’ve been enjoying them over salads or in wraps for lunch, and beside our favourite roasted potatoes and grilled veggies for dinner.
I grew up eating seafood often, which is funny because I grew up in the geographical centre of Canada, pretty much the furthest point in Canada away from any ocean. My husband is from the west coast and grew up on freshly caught salmon and crab, so we like to integrate sustainable or ocean-friendly seafood into our diets as much as possible simply because it’s a healthy source of lean protein (check out the Marine Stewardship Council and Ocean Wise for more information on sustainable seafood).
These shrimp skewers are so quick to prepare and they are so juicy and flavourful. You’ll definitely want to add these to your menu if you’re a shrimp lover like me! In the winter time, we grill these Lemon Garlic Grilled Shrimp Skewers indoors but in the summer time we cook them up on the outdoor grill! They’re delicious either way and I just know you’ll love them as much as we do! Serve these shrimp skewers alongside a baked potato and some steamed vegetables, or over a homemade Caesar salad using my healthy Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad Dressing recipe and you’ve got yourself a healthy, flavourful meal!
You’ll need these items on hand in your kitchen to make these grilled shrimp (affiliate links):
TRY OUR MEAL PLANS!
Let us do the work for you with 7 days of deliciously easy family dinners, grocery lists, meal prep guides and MORE!
Buy 2, save 20%!
Buy 3, save 30%!
Buy 4 or more, save 40%!
You will need these ingredients to make this recipe:
- olive oil
- garlic cloves
- white wine
- dried parsley
Time needed: 23 minutes
Follow these tips to make this grilled shrimp recipe!
- Prep skewers.
Soak the wooden skewers in a shallow dish filled with water.
- Make the marinade.
Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, white wine, parsley, and salt and pepper to a bowl and whisk the ingredients together.
Rinse the shrimp, remove the shells if you wish, leave the tails on.
- Shrimp on skewers.
Put four shrimp on each skewer, pierce the shrimp in two places to make sure it doesn’t fall off.
- Pour the marinade.
Place skewers in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over top.
- Cover and refrigerate.
Cover the dish with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
Discard remaining marinade and place on pre-heated grill. Grill each side for 3-4 minutes or until flesh turns pink and becomes opaque.
What can be substituted for the white wine?
Use white wine vinegar for acidity.
How long can the shrimp marinate for?
The shrimp should marinate for at most an hour. If it’s too long the acid will start to break down the protein structure causing the shrimp to become mushy.
How do I know when the shrimp is done?
Grill the shrimp over low heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the flesh turns pink and becomes opaque.
I hope you love these Lemon Garlic Shrimp Skewers as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite way to enjoy shrimp?
HEALTHY WHOLE FOOD RECIPES AND COOKING TIPS
Get my healthy whole-food recipes e-cookbook!
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this quick recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- About 1 pound of large shrimp (approximately 16-20)
- The zest and juice of one large lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves of garlic, pressed or very finely chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- a pinch of salt and pepper
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- 4-5 wooden skewers
- 1-2 cups water
- Pour the water into a shallow baking dish and add the skewers to it. Let them soak in the water as you’re preparing the shrimp and the marinade.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, white wine, parsley, and salt and pepper to a bowl and whisk the ingredients together.
- Rinse the shrimp and remove the shells (if you wish), leaving the tails on.
- Remove the wooden skewers from the water and discard the water.
- Add 4 shrimp to each skewer, making sure the skewer pierces each shrimp in two places (this will prevent them from falling off the skewers as they’re grilling).
- Lay them in a shallow baking dish.
- Give the marinade one last whisk to combine all the ingredients and pour it over the shrimp skewers, making sure each one is nicely coated.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap or a lid and put it in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. This will allow the shrimp to really soak up all the flavours in the marinade (especially the garlic!).
- Once 20-30 minutes have passed, remove the shrimp from the fridge and heat up your indoor or outdoor grill.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the grill and discard the leftover marinade.
- Grill the shrimp skewers on low heat for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until the flesh of the shrimp turns pink and becomes opaque.
- Once they’re done (and be careful not to overcook!), remove them to a platter.
- Garnish with some chopped fresh parsley (if you wish), and serve!
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.