This Easy One Pan Shrimp Fried Rice is the perfect simple weeknight meal made with leftover rice, frozen shrimp, and whatever veggies you have on hand! It’s better than takeout fried rice and it’s on the table in 20 minutes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you but this time of social distancing has left me with even LESS time to make dinner than I had before. If you’re busy working from home AND homeschooling multiple kids at the same time, plus trying to keep up with the never-ending house work, dishes and laundry your family is creating then you’ll know EXACTLY what I’m talking about (and if that’s you too, you’re in good company…we’re all just trying our best!).
This Easy One Pan Shrimp Fried Rice is a go-to recipe of mine and it’s an absolute life-saver after a crazy busy day. You’re going to LOVE it!
A few weeks ago I shared with you a list of 75 Recipes you can make with basic pantry and freezer ingredients to feed your hungry family without sacrificing your sanity (CLICK HERE to see that list!). They’re easily adaptable to whatever ingredients you have on hand and they’re delicious, mostly nutritious, and simple to make for busy days. This shrimp fried rice recipe DEFINITELY belongs on that list!
How to make Shrimp Fried Rice
- Start with cooked rice. Next time you make rice for dinner alongside a stir fry or curry, make an extra 3 cups or so (1 cup uncooked) and freeze it in a freezer bag or airtight container or keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Use pre-cooked or frozen shrimp that’s been peeled and deveined. Choosing frozen shrimp that’s pre-cooked or at least peeled and deveined will save SO much time!
- Saute your veggies. I like using carrots, green onions, celery and leeks in fried rice, but a bag of frozen mixed veggies works great too!
- Don’t forget the Soy Sauce. I like using a low-sodium soy sauce in this recipe because you can add a lot of the soy sauce flavour without making the dish too salty.
- Eggs! Adding a couple scrambled eggs to fried rice adds some great texture and extra protein!
Looking for even more easy meals? Try my One Pan Vegetarian Lentil Curry recipe, or these delicious Slow Cooker White Bean and Lentil Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this fried rice recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite easy weeknight meal to make in a pinch? I’d love to know!
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Looking for even more weeknight meal ideas? You’ll LOVE these:
Easy One Pan Shrimp Fried Rice
- 2 cups pre-cooked or frozen shrimp choose shrimp that's been peeled or deveined
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil substitute with vegetable oil if you don't have sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or use vegetable oil
- 1 leek thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic pressed or finely minced
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- a pinch or two of black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups cooked long grain rice
- more soy sauce to taste
- sliced green onions for serving
- If you're starting with pre-cooked shrimp, simply set it aside to add later. If you're starting with a raw shrimp, heat your skillet over medium-high heat and add a small amount of oil.
- If you're using un-cooked shrimp, make sure it's defrosted (run it under cold water to defrost), peeled and deveined. Cook the shrimp in the hot pan just until it turns pink. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Add the sesame oil and coconut oil (or vegetable oil) to the hot skillet.
- Add the sliced leek, onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the soy sauce and pepper and stir well.
- Add the eggs into the middle of the pan (push the veggies to the sides of the pan) and scramble them, cooking until they're just cooked through.
- Add the cooked rice and the cooked shrimp and stir everything together well over the heat until the rice absorbs the soy sauce and browns slightly.
- Add a little more soy sauce (if desired, to taste), top with some chopped green onions and serve!