These Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Cup Appetizers are the perfect finger food for New Years Eve and holiday parties. They’re easy to make and perfectly savory!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
There’s just something special about finger food, isn’t there? I love hosting winter parties and get-togethers and I almost always do an appetizer spread instead of a main meal. I have so many favourite appetizer recipes, some of which I’ve shared with you before like this Apricot Baked Brie and these Thai Peanut Salad Wonton Cups. But these Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Cup Appetizers are my new fave!!
Do you love bite-sized food? Click here for more amazing appetizer recipes!
They are so perfectly savory – the addition of parmesan and fresh thyme just takes these little appetizers over the top! And if you love mushrooms even a little bit, you are going to LOVE these Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Cup Appetizers!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
A few beginner tips for working with Puff Pastry Dough:
- Buy it, don’t make it! If you’re not a pastry chef just give yourself some grace and buy your puff pastry from the frozen section at the supermarket. It’s almost always good quality and it will save you many, many hours! In my experience, conventional store bought puff pastry is usually better than what you can make at home yourself, unless you’re a professional of course (I’m NOT!).
- Keep it cold! Always store your puff pastry dough in the fridge and add it to the freezer just before baking for 10-20 minutes to help it firm up. This will ensure it puffs up as high as possible in the oven and it also helps create those flaky layers (thanks to the frozen butter inside the dough!).
- Don’t forget the egg wash! There’s nothing worse than forgetting to use an egg wash on your puff pastry and removing it from the oven minus that golden brown crust. Brushing it with egg wash before baking creates the most beautiful colour – don’t skip this step!!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love these Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Cup Appetizers as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite New Years Eve appetizer to make for a crowd? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Tools I Recommend:
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY STRESS-FREE HOLIDAY MEAL IDEAS AND RECIPES?
GET MY EASY NO-FAIL HOLIDAY MEALS E-COOKBOOK!
Creamy Parmesan Mushroom Cup Appetizers
- 1 1/2 sheets puff pastry dough, cut into 3 1/2 to 4 inch squares
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves (or dried), chopped
- 1 small splash dry white wine
- a pinch each of salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 blocks full fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus more for topping
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut your defrosted puff pastry into 3 1/2 to 4 inch squares and press gently into 12 muffin cups. Place the muffin tins in the freezer for the dough to firm up while you're making the filling.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the diced onion, garlic, mushrooms, and thyme and saute until the vegetables are very soft. Add a splash of white wine and some salt and pepper too.
- Turn off the heat and turn the mushroom mixture out onto a plate to cool.
- Mix the softened cream cheese and the parmesan cheese in a bowl with a spoon and add the cooled mushroom mixture, stirring to combine.
- Remove the muffin tins from the freezer and divide the cheese and mushroom mixture between the 12 puff pastry cups.
- Top each one with a little bit more parmesan.
- Mix the egg with a splash of water and brush it onto the parts of the puff pastry that are visible (hanging over the sides of the muffin cups).
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the puff pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbly (about 20 minutes).
- For best results, serve immediately.