Quinoa burgers are the perfect healthy vegetarian dinner! These Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers are out-of-this-world delicious, packed full of nutrition, and you won’t even miss the meat! Enjoy this easy veggie burger recipe for #MeatlessMonday or any night of the week!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I ate quinoa burgers for the first time ever in 2010, when I visited a dear friend in Phoenix, Arizona. She was living there at the time and I saved my pennies for a flight to go see her. Of course it was a fantastic visit, even if I did have a broken arm at the time (now THAT’S a long story…!). We wrapped up our visit with some homemade frozen strawberry margaritas and the quinoa burgers and let me tell you, it was one of the best meals I’ve ever had!
Of course I left her house with a whole lot of stuff I bought at Target (because sadly we don’t have Target in Canada…) and the recipe for the Greek-style quinoa burgers, naturally! I’ve been making them ever since and they’ve become a family favourite in our house! Which is a little surprising because most vegetarian meals I make are met with complaints from my meat-eating family members. Don’t get me wrong, I like a good steak every now and then too, but when a veggie burger is this flavourful, I just can’t say no.
Quinoa Burgers Recipe Notes
These Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers are pretty easy to make if you have a food processor and they taste amazing with some creamy tzatziki sauce, sliced peppers, and my personal favourite, some fresh organic baby arugula. They’re delicious served in whole grain pitas instead of on hamburger buns, but I also like to enjoy them without the pita and over a delicious salad, or alongside my favourite Greek Salad. Trust me, you are going to love these!!
This easy quinoa burgers recipe is originally from Martha Stewart (find it here), but this is my take on it.
Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 1/2 cups Great Northern Beans canned, or soaked and cooked (I've also substituted Navy beans and White Kidney Beans successfully)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs or oat flour to make them gluten-free
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- oil for pan-frying olive oil works well
- Bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil in a small pot. Add the quinoa. Cook the quinoa on low for about 12 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Remove the quinoa from the heat, fluff it with a fork and set it aside to cool almost to room temperature.
Add the carrots, green onions, and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until everything is very finely chopped. Add the beans, cumin, chili powder (or paprika), salt, bread crumbs, egg and half the quinoa and pulse again until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor to a bowl and add the remaining quinoa. Stir the mixture well.
- Form the mixture into patties (the recipe makes about 6-8, depending upon the size of the patties you form) and fry in a bit of olive oil in a frying pan over medium-low heat. You'll have to fry them for about 5-6 minutes per side, but it's a good idea to watch them carefully since every pan is different.
- Once they're cooked through, remove them to a plate to cool slightly before serving.
These burgers are best served in pita bread instead of a traditional hamburger bun. I serve them in pitas with fresh organic greens and slathered in homemade tzatziki sauce with some sliced veggies on the side.
Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers are a perfect vegetarian option for lunch or dinner and they freeze well after they’ve been cooked, for reheating in a pinch.
I hope you enjoy this easy veggie burgers recipe! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite vegetarian meal?