NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:When I think about why I love lentils, it all comes back to my kids. As a mom of two young ones, one of my most important responsibilities is to prepare nutritious food for my kids every single day, all the while teaching them about the nutritional value of the food we eat, where it comes from, and how our food choices affect our health and well-being.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY & HEALTHY SUMMER ENTERTAINING TIPS, TRICKS AND RECIPES?
GET MY EASY HEALTHY SUMMER ENTERTAINING E-COOKBOOK!
Health Benefits of LentilsI love cooking with lentils because they’re a great inexpensive source of protein, and because lentils are plant-based they’re also low in fat and high in fibre. They’re basically a superfood and as I’ve been learning more and more about health and nutrition over these last few years, I regret all the years I ignored these little guys. red lentil hummus! Since breakfast is always a challenge in our house with our busy schedules, I wanted to find a way to add lentils into our breakfast routine. After a lot of experimentation, I’ve come up with a delicious dessert-inspired, lentil-packed breakfast granola that you are going to love! Red Lentil Carrot Cake Granola is easy to make and it’s full of nutrition for the whole family!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS SUMMER DESSERT IDEAS?
GET MY SUMMER DESSERTS E-COOKBOOK!
How to Make a Healthy Granola Recipe with Red Lentils
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups large flake oats gluten free oats work great here too!
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 5 tbsp liquid honey or other vegan substitute
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the red lentils well under some cool water and then add them to a small pot with 2 cups of water. Watch for the water to come to a simmer and let the lentils simmer for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Remove them from the water as soon as they reach the al dente stage. You'll want them to be cooked but not completely soft.
- While the lentils are cooking, add the oats, grated carrots, spices, honey, canola oil and salt to a large bowl. Toss everything together well.
- Once the lentils are cooked, strain them well and gently pat them dry with a piece of kitchen paper towel.
- Add them to the bowl with the oat mixture and toss well until the lentils are evenly dispersed throughout the mixture and well coated in the honey and canola oil.
- Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper or your favourite baking mat and pour the granola mixture out onto the baking sheet. Spread the mixture out as evenly as possible and pop it in the oven!
- Bake the granola for about 35-40 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent over-browning. A few minutes before you pull it out of the oven the last time, stir in the coconut flakes and the raisins so they bake with the mixture for no more than 5 minutes. This will allow them to absorb some of the flavours without becoming overly chewy.
- Feel free to enjoy some of this Red Lentil Carrot Cake Granola right out of the oven while it's warm, or let the granola cool completely on the baking sheet
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.