I’m excited to be sharing this healthy granola recipe with you today as my entry for the #LoveLentils Star of the Show contest with Canadian Lentils and Chef Michael Smith. I’ve created a video where I share the reasons why I love lentils and I’d love it if you checked it out and shared it on social media using the hashtag #LoveLentils!
Pomegranate Granola Parfaits or this Skinny Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM | TWITTERWhen I think about why I love lentils, it all comes back to my kids. As a mom of two young ones, one of my most important responsibilities is to prepare nutritious food for my kids every single day, all the while teaching them about the nutritional value of the food we eat, where it comes from, and how our food choices affect our health and well-being.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY & HEALTHY SUMMER ENTERTAINING TIPS, TRICKS AND RECIPES?
GET MY EASY HEALTHY SUMMER ENTERTAINING E-COOKBOOK!
Health Benefits of LentilsI love cooking with lentils because they’re a great inexpensive source of protein, and because lentils are plant-based they’re also low in fat and high in fibre. They’re basically a superfood and as I’ve been learning more and more about health and nutrition over these last few years, I regret all the years I ignored these little guys. red lentil hummus! Since breakfast is always a challenge in our house with our busy schedules, I wanted to find a way to add lentils into our breakfast routine. After a lot of experimentation, I’ve come up with a delicious dessert-inspired, lentil-packed breakfast granola that you are going to love! Red Lentil Carrot Cake Granola is easy to make and it’s full of nutrition for the whole family!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS SUMMER DESSERT IDEAS?
GET MY SUMMER DESSERTS E-COOKBOOK!
How to Make a Healthy Granola Recipe with Red Lentils
Chocolate Coconut Granola or this delicious Blueberry Pumpkin Seed Granola! #LoveLentils video on YouTube and if you like it, give it a thumbs up and share it on social media using the hashtag #LoveLentils! Love this lentils-inspired recipe? Check out this Red Lentil Butternut Squash Soup with Roasted Honey Curry Chickpeas and Coconut Cream!
If you made this, share a photo!
Share a photo
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
Red Lentil Carrot Cake Granola
Carrot Cake Granola with red lentils is a healthy granola recipe. With a blend of red lentils, oats and carrots, this is a delicious, protein-packed breakfast!
- 1 cup red split lentils
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups large flake oats gluten free oats work great here too!
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 5 tbsp liquid honey or other vegan substitute
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup flaked or shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rinse the red lentils well under some cool water and then add them to a small pot with 2 cups of water. Watch for the water to come to a simmer and let the lentils simmer for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Remove them from the water as soon as they reach the al dente stage. You'll want them to be cooked but not completely soft.
- While the lentils are cooking, add the oats, grated carrots, spices, honey, canola oil and salt to a large bowl. Toss everything together well.
- Once the lentils are cooked, strain them well and gently pat them dry with a piece of kitchen paper towel.
- Add them to the bowl with the oat mixture and toss well until the lentils are evenly dispersed throughout the mixture and well coated in the honey and canola oil.
- Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper or your favourite baking mat and pour the granola mixture out onto the baking sheet. Spread the mixture out as evenly as possible and pop it in the oven!
- Bake the granola for about 35-40 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent over-browning. A few minutes before you pull it out of the oven the last time, stir in the coconut flakes and the raisins so they bake with the mixture for no more than 5 minutes. This will allow them to absorb some of the flavours without becoming overly chewy.
- Feel free to enjoy some of this Red Lentil Carrot Cake Granola right out of the oven while it's warm, or let the granola cool completely on the baking sheet
Feel free to enjoy some of this Red Lentil Carrot Cake Granola right out of the oven while it's warm, or let the granola cool completely on the baking sheet before adding it to a large airtight container for storage to enjoy later. It keeps well for about a week in a large mason jar in the pantry, although it's so delicious I doubt there will be any left after a week goes by!!
Red Lentil Carrot Cake Granola
Amount Per Serving (1 serving)
Calories 244 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3g19%
Vitamin A 1788IU36%
Vitamin C 2mg2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
I've never thought to put lentils in my granola! Great idea, Chrissie!
Thanks Lori! This is sure a delicious way to enjoy lentils!
I love red lentils but I never thought they could be used this way. I will definitely have to try it soon.
That's great Sarah! Lentils are so versatile! Hope you enjoy this recipe!
I make a red lentil granola. Love your version! Definitely going to make some!
Thanks Redawna! Hope you enjoy!!
Wow, what a cool idea! I never would think to use lentils in any breakfast item, let alone a parfait but this looks gorgeous. Really creative.
Thanks so much Carmella! Lentils are the perfect ingredient for breakfast!
What an incredibly unique and delicious idea! Lentils are a great way to help add fiber to this tasty granola!
Thanks so much! Lentils are so versatile it's easy to be creative with them!
Sweet and spice! I love the ingredient combo that you used! It sounds amazingly tasty!
Thanks so much! It is a great combination of sweet and spice! 🙂
What an unusual idea. Can’t wait to try it
Thanks! I hope you love it!