This Healthier Low Fat Cornbread is a wholesome alternative to traditional cornbread! It’s light and tender and rivals any sweet cornbread recipe, with less fat and calories!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Friends, is there anything better than comfort food on a cold fall day? If there is, I can’t think of anything right now – probably because I’m staring at a photo of this delicious Healthier Low Fat Cornbread and my favourite chili recipe! I’m sharing this Healthier Low Fat Cornbread Recipe with you today along with a review of The Ultimate One Pan Oven Cookbook by my friend Julia Konovalova who shares recipes over at Imagelicious.com. She sent me her cookbook to review here on thebusybaker.ca and I’m happy to be bringing you my honest review today, along with this amazing healthy cornbread recipe (I’ve received the cookbook at no cost to me but all opinions are my own, as always)!
I should start out by saying that I’m Canadian, so I’m no cornbread connoisseur like some of you from the south. But I sure do enjoy a good slice of cornbread alongside all my favourite soups and stews and chilis in the colder months and to be honest, this Healthier Low Fat Cornbread is one of the BEST cornbread recipes I’ve ever tried.
Having had cornbread in restaurants a few times over the years when I’ve visited the USA I’ve always felt that traditional cornbread was a little too heavy and greasy for my liking. This Healthier Low Fat Cornbread recipe is anything but – it’s light, tender, so moist and flavourful, but not at all heavy or grease-laden. And it’s absolutely perfect for dipping in soup or chili!
The addition of applesauce to this recipe (and very little oil) is the key to its health-factor. Applesauce creates the perfect texture without adding any strong flavour and without added fat. It’s a brilliant ingredient to add to recipes like this! And as I’ve been perusing The Ultimate One Pan Oven Cookbook over these last few weeks and trying my hand at Julia’s recipes, I’m pleased to report that I love the healthy twists she puts on her recipes! There’s nothing I love more than simple, easy recipes that are healthy too, and The Ultimate One Pan Oven Cookbook is packed FULL of recipes just like this.
Looking for more delicious comfort food? Try this Healthier Low Fat Cornbread alongside this Easy Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili or this Crock Pot Potato Bacon Leek Soup!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you enjoy this Healthier Low Fat Cornbread recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite fall or winter comfort food recipe? I’d love to know!!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Healthier Low Fat Cornbread
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- diced jalapeno or 1/2 cup canned corn (drained), optional
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare an 8-inch by 8-inch square cake pan by lining it with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with vegetable oil cooking spray, if desired.
- Combine the vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs and buttermilk in a large bowl with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Add the cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder and mix with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Add the cheese, jalapenos and corn (if using), and stir to combine.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes until the cornbread is golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Enjoy with your favourite soups, stews, or chili, or eat it alone with butter and jam.