This Instant Pot Cornbread is perfectly light and fluffy, sweet and delicious! It’s the classic cornbread you love, made EASY in the Instant Pot!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Cornbread is a staple in our house when stew, chili or soup is on the menu and this Instant Pot Cornbread is a stellar recipe that you’ve GOT to try! It’s fluffy and tender, just a little bit sweet, with the perfect classic cornbread texture. Trust me, you’re going to love it as much as we do!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Cornbread
- vegetable oil
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
How to Make Instant Pot Cornbread
Making cornbread in the Instant Pot is so easy! Follow these tips for best results!
- Use a cake pan. I can’t stress this enough – don’t try making cornbread directly on the bottom of the Instant Pot (without a cake pan). You’ll get that dreaded burn notice and the cornbread will burn to the bottom of the pot.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients separately. Mixing the wet ingredients together and the dry ingredients together and then combining them will give your cornbread the perfect texture since all the ingredients will be evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Grease your pan well, and line it with parchment paper. Grease your pan generously for easy removal. A circle of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan will make removing the cornbread SO easy!
- Bake or Pressure Cook immediately after mixing. The leavening agents are activated as soon as the wet and dry ingredients are mixed together so for a fluffy and tender cornbread, bake it as soon as you can!
- Cover the pan well. Use two layers of aluminum foil and create a firm seal around the edges of the pan with the foil. This will keep the cornbread moist, but prevent excess moisture from entering the pan and making the cornbread very dense, wet and soggy.
- Keep the pan off the bottom of the Instant Pot. If you don’t have a trivet, make a sling out of aluminum foil and place it under the pan for easy removal. When you add the pan to the pot, place a heat-safe bowl upside down on the bottom of the pot and place the pan with the sling on top of the bowl to elevate it off the bottom of the pot. OR you can use a metal trivet, or this OXO Pressure Cooker Sling (affiliate link) – an inexpensive little kitchen gadget that works perfectly for recipes like this. If your Instant Pot didn’t come with a metal trivet I’d HIGHLY recommend it!
- Add water to the bottom of the Instant Pot. This will prevent that dreaded burn notice and keep the cornbread nice and moist as it bakes.
- Remove the foil immediately after baking. Removing the foil immediately will prevent any liquid from dripping off the foil and onto the cornbread as it cools, ensuring the top of the cornbread is the perfect texture.
- Let it cool before slicing or serving. Cornbread continues to bake on the inside after you remove it from the oven or Instant Pot, so be sure to let the cornbread cool in its pan for about 15 minutes before removing it from the pan to cool completely before slicing or serving.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite recipe to make in the Instant Pot? I’d love to know!
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Looking for even more Instant Pot Recipes? You’ll LOVE these!
- Instant Pot Beef and Bean Chili
- Instant Pot Sausage Pasta
- Instant Pot Fettuccine Alfredo
- Instant Pot Chocolate Cake
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken
- Instant Pot Apple Crisp with Berries
- Instant Pot Fried Rice with Chicken
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
Instant Pot Cornbread
- 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup cornmeal finely ground
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare an 8-inch springform pan by greasing it and lining the bottom with parchment paper. Add one cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add the vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs, and buttermilk to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- Into a separate bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cheese, stirring well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir well until everything is combined and no streaks of flour remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and cover with two layers of aluminum foil, covering the pan very tightly.
- Lower the pan into the Instant Pot using a trivet to keep the bottom of the pan from touching the bottom of the Instant Pot directly.
- Add the lid, set the valve to sealing, and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 50 minutes on high pressure.
- After the pressure cooking time is up, let the Instant Pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Then release the rest of the pressure manually and remove the pan from the Instant Pot.
- Immediately remove the aluminum foil from the top of the pan and let the cornbread cool completely before slicing and serving.