These Easy Barbecue Roasted Chickpeas make a great healthy snack for barbecue chip lovers! They’re high in protein, low in fat, and full of smoky flavour – with only 100 calories per serving!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you, but I’m always on the hunt for new healthy snack ideas – especially during back-to-school season when I’m severely lacking in the creativity department! These Barbecue Roasted Chickpeas are a deliciously easy snack idea that’s sure to please even the most dedicated barbecue chip-lover in your family!
They’re packed with protein and spicy flavour, but they’re low in fat and calories!! What’s not to love!?!?
Want to roast some chickpeas for a healthy protein-packed snack? Try my best tips below!
Tips for crispy roasted chickpeas every time:
- Use canned chickpeas! Soaking and cooking the chickpeas yourself tends to hydrate the chickpeas a little too much and give them an undesirable texture for recipes like this one, so using the canned variety is best when you want crispy roasted chickpeas.
- Rinse and dry them very well! Rinse the chickpeas under cold water and dry them between two kitchen towels, rubbing them gently to loosen the husks.
- Remove the husks! The key to crispy chickpeas is as little water and steam as possible. Leaving the husks on creates steam between the husks and the chickpeas and prevents them from crisping up.
- Use oil sparingly! – Using a good quality olive oil, and only a little bit of it, will create deliciously crispy chickpeas.
- Add dry spices for flavour! – The flavour possibilities are endless, but be careful not to flavour your chickpeas with anything that contains liquid. Stick with dry spices like the barbecue spice mix in this recipe.
- Don’t under-roast! – If the chickpeas are still slightly soft that means they’re not done yet. Stick them back in the oven and let them darken slightly.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love these Easy Barbecue Roasted Chickpeas as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite healthy snack? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Looking for even more delicious recipes like this one? Check out these!
Easy Barbecue Roasted Chickpeas
These Easy Barbecue Roasted Chickpeas make a great healthy snack for barbecue chip lovers! They're high in protein, low in fat, and full of smoky flavour - with only 100 calories per serving!
- 1 large can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (substitute with paprika, if desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Drain and rinse the chickpeas well under cool water and lay them out on a kitchen towel to dry completely.
Rub them gently between two kitchen towels to loosen the husks.
Remove the husks completely and discard them. Dry the chickpeas again after the husks have been removed.
Toss the chickpeas in a bowl with the olive oil.
Add the paprika, chilli powder, cayenne, and garlic powder and toss very well until the chickpeas are evenly coated with the spices.
Add the chickpeas to a sheet pan and spread them out in an even layer.
Roast at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until the chickpeas are crispy on the outside and dark golden brown.
Let cool on the sheet pan until cooled completely.
These roasted chickpeas are best enjoyed they day they're made, but they'll keep for about 24 hours in an airtight container at room temperature.