This Easy Homemade Hummus Recipe is the perfect easy-to-make and healthy snack or appetizer made with basic ingredients! Delicious with veggies or pita chips!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you but hummus is an absolute staple food in our house. Not a week goes by where we don’t have a tub of hummus in our fridge, and all of us love a good platter of veggies and pita chips to dip in hummus. We love roasted red pepper hummus, roasted garlic hummus, and pretty much any flavour of hummus you can think of. This Easy Homemade Hummus is our simple, basic hummus recipe, and we know you’ll love it as much as we do!
Ingredients for Homemade Hummus
- canned chickpeas
- lemon juice
- tahini (or use natural peanut butter if you can’t find tahini)
- olive oil
How to make Easy Homemade Hummus
This Basic Hummus recipe is SO easy to make. Just follow these simple steps:
- Rinse and drain your chickpeas (it’s easiest to use the canned variety).
- Add the chickpeas to your food processor, along with all the other hummus ingredients.
- Process on high speed while you drizzle in the olive oil and water until smooth and the mixture reaches the perfect creamy texture.
- Serve with your favourite pita chips or veggies for dipping!
A food processor is a very helpful tool for making homemade hummus. Blenders can sometimes do the trick, but they don’t always work properly for hummus as the texture can be too thick for most blenders. I recommend this KitchenAid food processor or this food processor (both are affiliate links).
Can you freeze hummus?
Yes! Freeze your hummus in an airtight container for up to 3 months. If it separates as it thaws, simply throw it back into your food processor and process it on low speed with a tiny drizzle of olive oil to help it come back together.
Is hummus healthy?
Yes! Hummus is packed with plant-based protein and fibre and it’s a super healthy choice when paired with fresh veggies for dipping!
What can I substitute for Tahini?
If someone in your family has an allergy to sesame seeds or you just can’t find Tahini in your local supermarket, you can substitute with natural peanut butter! It will give your hummus a similar savoury, nutty taste.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this basic, easy, homemade hummus recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite way to enjoy hummus? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for even more delicious recipes ? Check out these!
- Easy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Red Lentil Curry Hummus
- Garlic Parmesan White Bean Hummus
- Easy Homemade Baba Ganoush
- Low Carb Chicken Shawarma Bowls
- Easy 3-Ingredient Chia Seed Jam
- Creamy Bruschetta Bites
- Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Mushrooms
- Mexican Taco Dip Wonton Cups
- Easy One Pan French Onion Stuffed Chicken
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
Easy Homemade Hummus
- 30 ounces canned chickpeas drained and rinsed (approximately two 15 ounce cans)
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- juice of one large lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons water if necessary, to thin out the hummus
- Add the chickpeas, the garlic, the tahini, lemon juice and sea salt, and blend on high speed until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- While the food processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil until the hummus becomes even more creamy and pale in colour. Add up to 3 tablespoons of water, only if necessary to thin out the hummus.
- Serve immediately with your favourite veggies, pitas, crackers or chips, or store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.