This Easy Classic Green Bean Casserole is the BEST from-scratch traditional green bean casserole you’ll ever taste, with a vegan option! There’s no canned soup and in this classic Thanksgiving or Christmas side dish and it’s easy to make with no dairy (vegan)!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Happy Monday friends! I’m so excited to be sharing this Easy Classic Green Bean Casserole with you today – our favourite classic green bean casserole with a healthy vegan, dairy-free twist!! It’s the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner table, and it’s made FROM SCRATCH with no cream soup!! And don’t worry, if you’re not vegan you can make it with your favourite milk-ingredients and it will taste amazing!
The holiday season is the perfect time for fall comfort food dishes like this Easy Classic Green Bean Casserole, but attending holiday family feasts can be really difficult if you’re following any kind of special diet or deal with food allergies. Almost all the classic holiday dishes are laden with all kinds of food allergens and animal products so I’m always trying to come up with ways to re-create my husband’s favourite holiday dishes, minus the dairy (he has a dairy allergy).
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
Our favourite ingredient to make dishes like this Green Bean Casserole dairy-free (and vegan) is the oat cream from Oatly brand (not sponsored, just sharing a product we love!). I’m a purist when in comes to dairy and most dairy-free milk products taste awful to me. Our favourite Oatly Oat Cream behaves just like half and half in recipes and when added to sauces, like in this Vegan Green Bean Casserole, tastes just like real dairy! It contains only unsaturated fat, making it a much healthier and cholesterol-friendly ingredient than dairy cream. It’s become one of my favourite ingredients, and I know you’ll love it too!
Looking for more holiday side dishes? CLICK HERE for all my favourite holiday recipes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Easy Vegan Green Bean Casserole as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite healthy holiday side dish? I’d love to know!!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for even more delicious recipes? You’ll love these:
- Maple Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Bacon Dressing
- Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad
- Butternut Squash Pasta Salad
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY STRESS-FREE HOLIDAY MEAL IDEAS AND RECIPES?
GET MY EASY NO-FAIL HOLIDAY MEALS E-COOKBOOK!
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this great side-dish. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
Easy Classic Green Bean Casserole
- 2 teaspoons butter or vegan butter
- 6-7 cups canned or frozen cut green beans (if using fresh green beans, blanch in boiling water first)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter or vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup half and half cream use oat cream for vegan option
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups crispy fried onions (the French's brand is free of animal products)
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9-inch by 9-inch baking dish (or roughly equivalent size) with 2 teaspoons butter.
- Add the green beans to the baking dish and set aside.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil, onions, garlic, and thyme. Saute until the mixture is fragrant and the onions are very soft.
- Add the butter and when it's melted, add the all purpose flour and whisk until the mixture becomes thick.
- Add the white wine and continue whisking until the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cream (or oat cream) and water and stir to combine. Add the nutmeg and salt & pepper and stir.
- Turn the heat to low and stir the mixture regularly until a thick sauce forms (this will take a few minutes).
- Pour the sauce over the green beans in the baking dish and toss gently, just to make sure the sauce is evenly distributed.
- Smooth out the top and sprinkle the crispy fried onions over the top.
- Bake at 325 degrees until the sauce is bubbly and the top is golden brown (about 20 minutes).