This Homemade Honey Garlic Barbecue Sauce is perfect on grilled meats, burgers, ribs and more! It’s easy to make in one pot and it’s packed with sweet and savoury flavour!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you but for me there’s something so satisfying about making a sauce or condiment, that I usually buy pre-made, from scratch. This Homemade Honey Garlic Barbecue Sauce is our family’s favourite homemade barbecue sauce and I know you’re going to love it too!
We love sweet and savoury flavours together and this Homemade Honey Garlic Barbecue Sauce is the perfect marriage of salty and sweet! We love slathering it on burgers, ribs, and grilled chicken, and I even keep a jar of it in the fridge for dipping things like potato wedges or meatballs – our kids love to do this!
Looking for some delicious grilling recipes? Try this White Wine and Herb Marinated Grilled Chicken, these Dry Rub Barbecue Chicken Skewers, or this Ginger Soy Grilled Chicken!
How to make homemade barbecue sauce:
Making homemade barbecue sauce is pretty simple! Just whisk together the ingredients over medium-low heat and cook until thick and glossy. Let cool, and then store in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to use it in your favourite grilling recipes!
Ingredients for Homemade Barbecue Sauce:
- ketchup (I like to use low-sodium, low-sugar ketchup)
- fresh garlic (or garlic powder)
- brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- soy sauce
- red wine vinegar
- onion powder
- smoked paprika
- hot sauce
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Homemade Honey Garlic Barbecue Sauce as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite way to enjoy barbecue sauce in the summer time? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for even more delicious recipes ? Check out these!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup I use low-sodium, low-sugar ketchup
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup liquid honey or other vegan substitute
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- a dash of hot sauce I use Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- a dash of finely ground black pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a pot over medium-low heat.
- Whisk everything together well to combine, and to continue to whisk almost constantly (but not vigorously) as the mixture heats up and begins to bubble.
- Once the mixture reached a hard boil, reduce the heat to low and continue whisking until the sauce is thick, glossy and dark in colour (it will thicken and darken as it cooks and reduces).
- Once the sugar granules have dissolved and the sauce is thick, glossy and dark in colour, remove it from the heat and transfer it to a heat-safe glass jar or container. Let cool to room temperature before storing in the fridge and using on all your favourite barbecued meats.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.