This Easy Homemade Chicken Stock is the perfect recipe for making Chicken broth or stock at home! Make it on the stove-top or in the slow cooker to save time and money!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you, but we know plenty of people who are in the middle of a crazy polar vortex right now – our friends and family are reporting temperatures as low as minus 52 degrees Celsius!! Thankfully we live in an area of the world with much milder winters (it was plus 9 degrees Celsius yesterday!), but that kind of cold is just crazy, in my opinion, and if temperatures like that don’t motivate you to make a nice big pot of this Easy Homemade Chicken Stock I don’t know what will!!
Several years ago I started making my own homemade chicken stock to save money. My husband is a big fan of roasted chicken, and so I’d roast a small chicken once a week or so and have the carcass left over. This Easy Homemade Chicken Stock is the perfect use for a leftover chicken carcass or even leftover chicken bones, if you roast your chicken in parts.
It’s SO easy to make on the stove if you have the time, but if you don’t (I never do!) it can be made in the slow cooker overnight. Yes, you read that right…this Easy Homemade Chicken Stock is SO EASY you can actually make it in your sleep. Literally.
What’s the difference between chicken stock and chicken broth?
Stock and broth are very similar, but with one main difference: Stock is made from boiling the bones of the chicken and broth is made from boiling the meat of the chicken. Both are delicious and work well in many recipes, although I prefer making stock since you’re able to develop a lot more flavour and colour, which results in a better-tasting homemade soup! If you’re not using previously roasted chicken bones for this recipe (it’s ok if there’s a little meat left on them!), be sure to roast the meat and bones first to get that gorgeous amber colour in your homemade stock!
Looking for more delicious cold-weather soup ideas? Try these 25 Comforting Winter Soups!!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Easy Homemade Chicken Stock as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, in what homemade soup recipe would YOU use this Easy Homemade Chicken Stock? I’d LOVE to know!
Kitchen Tools I Recommend:
Looking for more delicious soup recipes? You’ll LOVE these!!
Easy Homemade Chicken Stock
- 1 chicken carcass (from a roasted chicken) or 6-8 bone-in chicken pieces, most of the meat removed
- 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery roughly chopped
- 2 onions skin removed, roughly chopped
- one handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 lemon slices optional
- 3/4 cup red or white wine
- 3 teaspoons tomato paste
- a dash of Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10-12 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil ONLY FOR STOVE-TOP METHOD
For the SLOW COOKER method:
- Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Set to low heat and let cook for 8-10 hours (overnight is best).
- Strain well and let cool. Skim any fat that rises to the top and remove it. Pour into jars or freezer-safe containers, and store in the fridge or freezer until ready to use in your favourite recipes.
For the STOVE-TOP method:
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the carrots, celery and onions and saute until the veggies begin to soften and take on colour.
- Add the chicken carcass or chicken bone pieces and continue to saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the wine and scrape up all the dark bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (parsley, lemon, tomato paste, salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, water) and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and then reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 2-4 hours, but don't let the stock boil as it cooks (this will cause the stock to be very cloudy).
- Let cool and then strain well. Skim the fat from the top of the liquid and pour into jars or freezer-safe containers. Store in the fridge or freezer until ready to use in your favourite recipes!