This Easy Homemade Potato Gratin is one of our favourite holiday side dish recipes! It’s simple to make with only a few ingredients, and it’s so creamy!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you but it seems like I’m always on the hunt for new and interesting side dish recipes! I mean, there’s nothing wrong with all the traditional ones like roasted veggies, mashed potatoes, and the list goes on – but sometimes it’s good to step outside your comfort zone and try something new, like this Easy Homemade Potato Gratin!
How to make the best potato gratin
The key to making this Easy Homemade Potato Gratin the best it can be is in the details. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a super simple recipe – but a few key factors can take this dish from good to AMAZING!
- Use a Mandoline slicer to slice the potatoes! These little kitchen gadgets come in at every price point, so they’re something you can add to your kitchen even if you’re on a budget. They help get those potato slices perfectly thin so they cook evenly in this recipe! Check out my favourite mandoline slicers HERE (budget) and HERE (a little higher end) (affiliate links).
- Go for Fresh Herbs! Using fresh sage in this dish takes it over the top in the flavour department and gives that gorgeous touch of holiday green colour.
- Use high-fat dairy! Dishes like this Easy Homemade Potato Gratin are so great because of their creaminess – don’t skimp on the fat in this dish (trust me, you won’t regret it!!).
Looking for more holiday side dishes? CLICK HERE for all my favourite holiday recipes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you enjoy this Easy Homemade Potato Gratin as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite potato side dish for the holidays? I’d love to know!
Kitchen products I recommend:
Looking for more delicious holiday recipes? You’ll LOVE these!
- Maple Rosemary Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Slow Cooker Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Bacon Dressing
- Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad
- Butternut Squash Pasta Salad
- Garlic Butter Roasted Carrots
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this great side dish. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
Easy Homemade Potato Gratin
- 3 pounds white potatoes, washed and peeled (peeling optional)
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream (20% or above)
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- a good splash of white wine
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan (don't use the processed, shelf-stable parmesan for this recipe! Go for the good stuff!)
- extra chopped fresh sage for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare a large 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray or greasing with butter.
- Slice the potatoes and onions into a large bowl using your mandoline slicer. This will ensure you get super thin slices that will bake evenly.
- Add the garlic, sage, salt and pepper, milk, and cream to the bowl.
- Crumble the beef bouillon cube over the mixture and add the splash of wine.
- Use tongs to toss the mixture together until everything is well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth out the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil (or a lid if your baking dish has an oven-safe lid) and bake for one hour at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After one hour, remove from the oven and remove the foil or lid.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top and return to the oven for another 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and begins to brown slightly.
- Serve immediately.