This Easy One Pan Chicken with Turmeric Rice is the perfect super easy weeknight dinner! It’s family-friendly and on the table in 30 minutes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
If you know me you know I’m always looking for new ways to re-invent the “easy weeknight meal”. And if you’re anything like me you probably also struggle some days with getting a family meal on the table that’s quick and easy, but also healthy and wholesome. This Easy One Pan Chicken with Turmeric Rice is a total kid-pleaser and it’s super filling! It’s become one of my go-to family meals.
Looking for MORE family meals? You’ll love this One Pan Spanish Style Chicken and Rice, or this French Onion Stuffed Chicken!
There’s nothing like prepping dinner, putting it in the oven, and walking away for awhile so you can get other things done. There’s no standing at the stove for hours with this recipe – just a few minutes to brown the chicken and then into the oven it goes for just enough time to throw together a side salad or some veggies, set the table and round up the family for dinner, of course!
Making rice in a cast iron pan
I love making this Easy One Pan Chicken with Turmeric Rice in my tried and true Cast Iron Pan (affiliate link)! It sears the chicken just perfectly and has such even heat distribution, which cooks the rice in the oven evenly. And it’s easy on the budget too, which any family would love. It’s one of my most loved kitchen tools!!
How to cook rice in the oven
Cooking rice in the oven, especially in a cast iron pan, can seem intimidating. It’s truly so easy – just build some flavour by frying some onions, bell peppers, or other veggies until slightly softened, add a bit of butter or oil (for flavour!), some spices or herbs, toast the rice just a bit on the stovetop, add the liquid and throw it in the oven! It’s that’s simple and you can prepare it in minutes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Easy One Pan Chicken with Turmeric Rice as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite one-pan oven-to-table weeknight meal? I’d LOVE to know!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for even more delicious recipes? You’ll LOVE these ones I’ve linked below!
Easy One Pan Chicken with Turmeric Rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs (bone in, skin on) Use boneless, skinless if desired
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 1/4 cup long grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken stock I use low fat, low sodium
- fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper and garlic powder on both sides.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and brown on both sides until golden. Don't worry about cooking the chicken through at this stage - just focus on getting that crispy brown crust on the outside.
- Remove the chicken to a plate once it's browned and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet, and turn the heat to medium.
- Saute the onions and garlic until the onions begin to soften. Add the turmeric and rice and stir everything together well, letting the rice toast just a little bit.
- Add the chicken stock and stir well to combine. Turn off the heat under the skillet.
- Nestle the chicken pieces into the liquid-y rice mixture in the pan, making sure the tops of the chicken pieces are sticking out of the liquid just a little bit.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken pieces are cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 Fahrenheit (75 Celsius) and the rice is cooked.
- Serve with a sprinkling of freshly chopped cilantro or parsley for freshness, and serve with a side salad or some veggies.