This One Pan Spanish-Style Chicken and Rice is a super easy weeknight meal that’s packed with flavour! Make it spicy or family-friendly all in one skillet!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
One of my favourite kind of recipes to create is one-pan meals that are perfect for weeknights. My family loves variety when it comes to dinner time, and so I’m always trying to come up with new ways to serve the same old foods we like to enjoy like cuts of chicken, rice, pasta and vegetables. Lucky for me there are a million and one ways to prepare these basic foods and I’ve got yet another one coming your way today! This One Pan Spanish-style Chicken and Rice recipe is our latest favourite easy weeknight meal that’s inspired by a Spanish rice dish I once enjoyed while living in Spain several years ago. It’s sweet, spicy (if you want!), smoky and packed with flavour!
Looking for more one-and-done weeknight meals? You’ll LOVE this Easy Chicken and Shrimp Paella or this One Pan Roasted Chicken Dinner!
This One Pan Spanish-Style Chicken and Rice is an amazingly delicious one-and-done meal that our family is loving lately and it’s easy to make with just a few simple ingredients you probably already have on hand, and a good old cast iron skillet – check out the one I use HERE if you’re in the market for a good one that’s not too expensive! (affiliate link). Using a non-enamelled cast iron skillet for this recipe just takes the flavour up a notch by bringing out all those smoky aromas from the chorizo, the paprika, and the golden brown chicken. If you’re into high-flavour dishes, this One Pan Spanish-Style Chicken and Rice is DEFINITELY the recipe for you! Make it spicy with hot chorizo and spicy paprika if you’re into that, or mild with bacon and sweet paprika if you’re making it for your family with kids (like I am). It tastes amazing both ways!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this One Pan Spanish-Style Chicken and Rice as much as our family does! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite weeknight meal idea? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for even more delicious chicken recipes? You’ll LOVE these ones I’ve linked below!
One Pan Spanish-Style Chicken and Rice
- 1/2 cup chopped cured chorizo sausage (use spicy or mild, according to your tastes) use bacon instead of chorizo, if desired
- 6 large chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (use spicy or sweet, according to your tastes)
- salt and pepper for seasoning chicken
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 400 gram can of diced tomatoes (in their juices)
- 1 1/4 cup long grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- freshly chopped parsley or cilantro for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On the stovetop, heat a large cast iron (or other oven-safe) skillet over medium high heat and add the chopped chorizo sausage. Brown the sausage until it's cooked through but still soft. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate, leaving the remaining fat in the pan.
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with the paprika and salt and pepper, and place in the hot skillet skin-side down.
- Brown the chicken on both sides to create a dark golden brown crust, but don't worry about cooking the chicken through completely (it will finish cooking through in the oven later). Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic to the hot skillet and saute until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cumin, chili powder and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Add the white wine and stir gently until the wine almost completely evaporates and there's only a small amount of liquid remaining.
- Add the cooked chorizo you set aside previously, along with the diced tomatoes, rice, and chicken stock, stirring well to combine.
- Nestle the chicken thighs into the rice mixture in the pan, skin-side up, ensuring that the top skin is sticking out of the liquid.
- Cover the pan with a lid or aluminum foil and place in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the rice has cooked completely and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (75 degrees Celsius).
- Remove the aluminum foil or lid for the last 5 minutes of baking to allow the chicken to crisp up slightly.
- Serve immediately with some freshly chopped parsley or cilantro, if desired.