This Easy Southwest Sweet Potato Soup is an easy hearty and filling soup, made Tex-Mex style with sweet potatoes, black beans and tomatoes and topped with sour cream, shredded cheese and cilantro! Can be made vegetarian or vegan!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you, but in our family a good hearty bowl of soup is THE cure for the winter blues. I know, winter has barely started…but here in Canada there’s already snow on the ground and there’s Easy Southwest Sweet Potato Soup on the menu!!
My family loves soups like this one because they’re hearty and filling, they’re packed with veggies and tons of flavour, and each bowl is customizable – we love adding a dollop of sour cream on top, some shredded cheese, chopped fresh tomatoes, avocado slices, and chopped cilantro.
How to Make Healthier Homemade Soup
- Stick to clear soups. Anytime you add cream to a soup you’re adding a ton of fat and calories. Low fat, low sodium vegetable, chicken or even beef broth or stock is the way to go!
- It’s all about the veggies! Vegetables pack a flavour punch and they make a homemade soup hearty and filling.
- Add protein. Adding some shredded chicken or beans to your homemade soup will give it lots of extra protein!
- Think Potatoes! Adding potatoes or sweet potatoes to your homemade soups gives them a lot of bulk and adds some much needed healthy carbs.
Healthy Whole-Food Recipes with Easy Cooking Tips
Get my healthy whole-food recipes e-cookbook!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this soup as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite cold weather soup? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Tools I Recommend:
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons low sodium taco seasoning
- 15 ounce canned corn drained
- 15 ounce canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 5 cups vegetable stock (add up to one additional cup, if necessary)
- sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro for serving (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, and stir well, letting the vegetables soften and brown slightly.
- Add the taco seasoning, letting the veggies continue to cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the corn, black beans, diced tomatoes and sweet potatoes, stirring well.
- Add the stock (5 to 6 cups, depending on how big the sweet potatoes are), making sure the sweet potatoes are just covered by the liquid.
- Add the lid to the pot and let the soup simmer on medium to medium-low heat for about 20-25 minutes until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream, some shredded cheese, and chopped cilantro (optional).
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.