*This Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos post is sponsored by Lentils.org as a part of their #getPrepped campaign. I have received financial compensation but as always, all opinions are my own. #LoveLentils.
These Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos are the perfect healthy meal prep solution for busy weeks! Make this delicious, veggie-packed lentil taco filling and serve it in soft tacos, over salad, in lettuce wraps, and even for breakfast! The possibilities are endless for a delicious and easy meal prep solution the whole family will love!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I don’t know about you, but I am ALWAYS on the hunt for new easy meal prep ideas that save me time on busy weekdays. Most of the time our life is completely hectic – my husband’s job is incredibly demanding, I’m busy taking care of two preschoolers and our household, living in a foreign country, and running a food blog on the side. Most days are just nuts and I often remark to my husband that I could really do with an extra 6 or 7 hours in the day…at least!!
Meal Prep is a huge help to me in my busy life and I am so excited to be sharing this amazing meal prep recipe with you today: Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos! This easy one-pot vegetarian taco filling features delicious lentils and is so versatile! I love whipping up a big pan of this protein-packed filling on a Sunday evening and we enjoy it throughout the week in soft tacos, lettuce wraps, over salads for a quick lunch on the go, and even re-heated for breakfast with a poached or fried egg on top! The possibilities are endless!
Try this amazing Red Lentil Curry Hummus or these fantastic Slow Cooker White Bean and Lentil Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!!
Our family enjoys vegetarian meals several times a week, even though we’re not strictly vegetarian, and we find it a great way to not only save money on our grocery bill, but also to increase our vegetable intake while integrating more plant-based protein into our diet. And our favourite plant-based protein? Well that’s obvious: definitely lentils!! Lentils are an excellent source of fibre, minerals, and protein, and aside from the health benefits they pack a powerful flavour punch when prepared alongside your favourite spices and veggies. If you’ve been a reader of mine for awhile now you know how much we love our Mexican food, and this Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos filling stands up to any meaty version!!
One of the BEST things about this Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos recipe is how easy the filling is to make. Feel free to use canned or dried brown lentils or green lentils in this recipe – and if you’re cooking the lentils yourself it will hardly add any more work to this recipe at all! Simply rinse well, simmer until tender, and add to the recipe!
My kids gobble up these Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos whenever I make them, and we always enjoy the leftovers the next day! My husband loves taking a big, hearty taco salad for lunch when he needs to eat away from home, and I opt for lettuce wraps to save some carbs. This Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos filling keeps in the fridge for several days, so you can enjoy it throughout the week, and it freezes very well for future meals up to 3 months down the road (as long as you leave out the blackened bell peppers – add them in when you thaw out the filling!)!!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos recipe as much as our family does!! Let me know in the comments below, what’s YOUR favourite vegetarian meal prep recipe? I’d love to know in the comments below!
Looking for even MORE delicious recipes featuring lentils? Before you grab the recipe for these Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos below, check out these other delicious recipes!!
This Red Lentil Carrot Cake Granola is the PERFECT protein-packed breakfast recipe!!
These Slow Cooker White Bean and Lentil Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes make a delicious and easy-to-make vegetarian meal!
These Vegetarian Red Lentil Sausage Rolls are a super popular recipe!! They taste JUST like real sausage rolls!!
This Red Lentil Curry Hummus is one of my favourite snacks!!
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Meal Prep Vegetarian Tacos 3 Ways
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large bell peppers, cut into thin slices (I use red, green, yellow and/or orange)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cups cooked or canned brown or green lentils
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup water
- fresh parsley or cilantro for serving
- soft taco or tortilla shells
- other taco fixings (fresh tomatoes, grated cheese, lettuce, sour cream, salsa, guacamole, etc.)
- Heat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat and add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add the sliced bell peppers and sauté just until a few of the edges are blackened and the peppers have softened just slightly. Remove to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the other tablespoon of olive oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté just until soft and translucent.
- Add the lentils, mushrooms, taco seasoning, and paprika and stir over the heat until the mushrooms begin to release some juices and the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add the water 1/4 cup at a time just to create a thick sauce - you may not need to add the whole 3/4 cup.
- Let the mixture reduce over low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the mushrooms are very soft.
- Add the bell peppers and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately in soft tacos, lettuce wraps, or over a salad, or chill and re-heat for breakfast, lunch or dinner another day!
- in soft tacos with all the fixings,
- in lettuce cups for a light lunch or after school snack,
- over salad for a hearty take-to-work or school taco salad
- re-heated with a poached of fried egg for a quick and hearty breakfast to get you through a busy day!