Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Orange Vinaigrette is the perfect harvest salad, with fresh greens, roasted beets, nuts and seeds, and an easy dressing made with fresh oranges!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
* I originally shared this recipe in May 2015. I’ve updated the recipe slightly and I’m re-sharing it again today with new photos! Enjoy! The fall season is the best time for fresh, flavourful foods at the farmer’s market and this Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Orange Vinaigrette is exactly that – fresh and oh so flavourful!!
Roasted Beet Salad Ingredients
This healthy salad has the perfect combination of:
- bitter greens
- crunchy nuts and seeds
- creamy goat cheese, and
- sweet roasted beets
The salad is tossed with a delicious twist of citrus, making it incredibly refreshing. Once the beets have been roasted, you can prepare the salad and the dressing in less than 15 minutes which is perfect for a quick, healthy meal. Pair it with a grilled chicken breast or some hearty whole grain bread and it’s a great lunch or dinner!
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY WHOLE-FOOD RECIPES WITH EASY COOKING TIPS?
GET MY HEALTHY WHOLE-FOOD RECIPES E-COOKBOOK!
How to Roast Beets
Roasting beets is easy! They roast in the oven, which does take a bit of time, but it’s all hands off time.
Do you have to peel beets before roasting them?
Absolutely not! Just scrub the beets with cool water to remove any dirt or debris. You don’t even need to dry them off. Just wrap the beets in aluminum foil and place them in the oven. After the beets have roasted, the skin should slide off very easily. If it doesn’t, the beets may need to roast a bit longer.
Looking for more healthy salad recipes? Make a Strawberry Spinach Pasta Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing or an Orange Berry Pomegranate Superfood Salad .
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Hope you enjoy this roasted beet salad! What are your favourite harvest foods? Let me know in the comments below!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for more delicious salad recipes? You’ll love these!!
- Berry Walnut Spinach Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Bacon Dressing
- Quick and Easy Greek Pasta Salad
- Rainbow Vegetable Pasta Salad
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
How to Make Roasted Beet Salad
Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese and Orange Vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 8-10 cups organic mixed greens of your choice I like a combination of arugula, baby kale, spinach and whatever other organic greens I have on hand
- 4 medium beets, washed
- 2 tsp olive oil for roasting the beets
- A pinch or two of salt
- 2 large carrots, shaved into ribbons or grated
- 1/2 cup crumbled low-fat goat cheese
- 1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (optional)
For the vinaigrette:
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- juice of 2 fresh oranges (about 1/4 cup of orange fresh orange juice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. While the oven is preheating, line a small baking dish with parchment paper. Wash the beets and cut off the stems. Place them in the parchment-lined baking dish and toss them in 2 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- There's no need to peel the beets at this time. Once they've roasted they'll be very easy to peel. Keeping the peel on while they cook also helps prevent them from bleeding and making a huge mess.
- Roast the beets at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45-50 minutes. After 45-50 minutes, remove the beets from the oven and let them cool in the pan for about 5-10 minutes. They'll still be very warm after this time, but you'll be able to handle them without burning yourself.
- While you're waiting for the beets to cool, measure the greens into a large bowl.
- Grate or slice the carrots into ribbons using your vegetable peeler, chop the green onions (is using), and measure out the goat cheese, pecans and pumpkin seeds.
- Remove the skin from the beets using a vegetable peeler, and chop the beets into bite-sized chunks.
- Sprinkle the carrots over the salad greens, then add the beets, the goat cheese, pecans, pumpkin seeds, and green onions (if using). Set the salad aside while you prepare the dressing.
- To a medium mason jar, add the honey, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, and the juice of 2 oranges.
- Add a pinch or two each of salt and pepper. Close the lid of the jar tightly and shake until all the ingredients are combined. The mustard in the dressing not only adds flavour but also acts as an emulsifier (prevents the oil and vinegar from separating).
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad (to your taste), toss gently and serve!