This Cherry Almond Coffee Cake is the perfect moist and fluffy coffee cake packed with sweet cherries, a cinnamon sugar swirl, and the best streusel topping with sliced almonds!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Simple cakes are some of my favourite things in the world to bake and this Cherry Almond Coffee Cake definitely falls into that category! It’s a super simple moist cake with a cinnamon sugar swirl, flavoured with almond extract, topped with fresh cherries and a classic streusel topping with slivered almonds and powdered sugar. It’s a delicious sweet treat that’s perfect with a cup of coffee or tea!
How to Make Coffee Cake Moist
The secret to the perfect coffee cake that’s ultra moist and never dry? Sour cream! It makes for the perfect dense crumb that coffee cake is famous for, and it makes the cake deliciously moist every single time! This Cherry Almond Coffee Cake is really the perfect simple cake recipe for a coffee date with friends, and it makes a great addition to a brunch buffet.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you enjoy this coffee cake recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite coffee break snack?
Looking for more delicious recipes? You’ll LOVE these:
- Rhubarb Streusel Cake
- Apple Crumble Muffins
- Zucchini Blueberry Muffins
- Double Chocolate S’Mores Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookie Bars
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
Cherry Almond Coffee Cake
For the cake:
- 1 cup full fat sour cream (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the cinnamon swirl:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cherries (halved)
For the streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl combine the sour cream, sugar, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla, and melted butter with a wire whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Prepare a 9-inch spring form pan, greasing it well.
- Spoon half the batter into the bottom of the pan (the batter will be very thick).
- Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and sprinkle half the mixture over the amount of batter in the bottom of the pan. Scatter half the cherries over top of the cinnamon sugar layer.
- Spoon the second half of the batter over the cinnamon sugar layer and cherries, and smooth out the top as much as possible.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cinnamon sugar over the top of the batter and add the second half of the cherries to the top.
- Combine the streusel topping ingredients in a small bowl until the mixture reaches the texture of coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the top of the cherries.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Halfway through baking, add the sliced almonds over the top of the streusel topping and allow them to toast for the second half of the baking time.
- Once the cake is done, allow to cool completely before releasing the spring form pan and slicing to serve.