These easy Croffles (Croissant Waffles) are the perfect simply indulgent breakfast or dessert. Make them with frozen puff pastry dough or frozen unbaked croissants and serve with your favourite sweet or savory toppings!
Our family LOVES waffles, pancakes and french toast of all kinds and we often enjoy breakfast for dinner. I’m always looking for delicious ways to enjoy breakfast foods and these Croffles (Croissant Waffles) make the perfect EASY breakfast or brunch recipe for pastry lovers!
If you like a good croissant then you’re going to LOVE these Croissant Waffles. They bake beautifully in a waffle iron and because they’re dipped in sugar before baking they have the most delicious crispy crust. We love them served with fresh fruit and maple syrup, but they’re also delicious with fried eggs and bacon, Nutella or other chocolate spread, peanut butter, or any other of your favourite toppings.
One of the best parts of this recipe is how easy it is to make with whatever waffle iron you have. The ones I have used are this Breville 2-Waffle Iron, this Cuisinart single Waffle Iron, and this Cuisinart Rotating Waffle Iron. All of them are great and make delicious waffles at a decent price!
I’ve already shared so many of our favourite holiday breakfast and brunch recipes with you, like this Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole, this Mushroom and Spinach Frittata, these Quick and Easy Cinnamon Rolls, and this Easy Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole. If you’re hosting a holiday brunch this year, these Croffles make a great addition to any brunch buffet along with a simple variety of toppings your guests can choose from!
Ingredients for Croissant Waffles
- frozen puff pastry dough (OR frozen unbaked croissants)
- granulated sugar
- vegetable oil, cooking spray or melted butter for greasing the waffle iron
- your favourite toppings (fresh fruit, maple syrup, etc.)
How to Make Croffles (Croissant Waffles)
Time needed: 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Use these tips for the perfect Croffles every time!
- Choose high-quality store-bough puff pastry.
The quality of your puff pastry dough will make or break this recipe, so choose the best one you can find.
- Try pre-made unbaked frozen croissants to save time.
The biggest time saver in this recipe is to buy pre-made unbaked frozen croissants and simply thaw them before using. This will give you PERFECT results and save a lot of time and effort.
- Flatten the croissants before baking.
Use the palm of your hand to flatten the thawed croissants. This will help them bake evenly and be cooked on the inside and the outside.
- Dip in sugar before baking.
Dipping the croissants in sugar creates the most delicious caramelized crust with the perfect golden brown colour. Don’t skip this step!
- Bake at a medium temperature.
Setting your waffle iron to High will cause these Croffles to burn on the outside and be underdone on the inside. You know your waffle iron best – cook on Medium for most waffle irons, and for waffle irons that don’t heat very well and take a long time, use Medium-High.
- Enjoy immediately.
These Croissant Waffles are best enjoyed right after they’re made. To reheat any leftovers, use your toaster or toaster oven.
They taste like croissants with a sweet, crispy crust. They’re delicious!
Croffles are made of pre-made frozen croissants or puff pastry dough that’s been thawed, rolled out, cut, and rolled into croissants. They’re then dipped in sugar and baked in a waffle iron.
Yes, however they’re best served immediately. To reheat, use a toaster or toaster oven to maintain the crispiness of the exterior.
They’re best served with fresh fruit, maple syrup, Nutella or other chocolate spread, peanut butter, yogurt, or even savoury sides like eggs and bacon or sausages.
I hope you love this easy recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comment below, what’s your favourite easy holiday breakfast recipe? I’d love to know!
Looking for more recipes like this? You’ll LOVE these!
Croffles (Croissant Waffles)
- 1 large sheet of puff pastry, thawed (OR use pre-made frozen unbaked croissants)
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or use cooking spray or melted butter)
- For the puff pastry:
- Defrost the puff pastry sheet in the fridge several hours in advance. If using rolled puff pastry, it's important that you're able to unroll it without cracking. If you're using a block, it should be thawed enough that you can roll it out with a rolling pin to about 18 inches by about 10 inches (approximately 45 cm by 25 cm). If using pre-made frozen unbaked croissants, simply place in the fridge until thawed (about 2-4 hours or overnight).
- If using a block of puff pastry, roll it out on a clean lightly floured surface to about 18 by 10 inches.
- Using a pizza cutter, pastry cutter or sharp knife, cut the sheet of puff pastry into tall triangles about 3 inches wide at the base.
- Roll each triangle from the wide end to the point, and flatten the roll slightly with your palm.
For the Croffles:
- Preheat your waffle maker until it reaches medium to medium-high temperature.
- Dip all the raw croissants in the sugar, making sure every side is coated. The raw croissants should be slightly flattened.
- Brush the inside of the waffle iron with the vegetable oil or butter (or spray with cooking spray).
- Place the raw croissants in the waffle iron according to the size of your iron. If yours has 2 squares, bake 2 croissants at a time. If it has 4 squares, bake 4 at a time. If it's a round waffle maker, you may have room for 2 or even three (depending on how large it is). Be sure to leave space between the croissants as they expand while baking.
- Bake for at least 4 minutes before checking. You'll know they're done when they're puffy and very golden brown on the outside. Every waffle iron is different so giving an exact time for baking is impossible, but they should take anywhere from about 7 to 10 or even 12 minutes. Check them often to avoid burning.
- Once they're done, serve them with fresh fruit and maple syrup, or any of your favourite toppings!
- Croffles are best served immediately.
- To reheat, use a toaster or toaster oven to maintain the crispiness of the exterior.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.