This Easy Skillet Mushroom Spinach Frittata is the perfect easy breakfast that’s healthy, low carb, packed with veggies, and great for make-ahead breakfasts!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
There’s nothing I like more than starting the day off right with a healthy breakfast, especially at the beginning of a busy week. It almost always keeps me on track for the rest of the day and it gives me all the energy I need to check off all the items on my to-do list. Breakfast time with a family can be busy and stressful and feeding the whole family with a healthy breakfast can be a big challenge. That’s why this Easy Skillet Mushroom Spinach Frittata is one of my favourite make-ahead breakfast recipes!
How to Make Frittata
Making your breakfast ahead of time can be a life-saver and this Easy Skillet Mushroom Spinach Frittata is my choice for a healthy make-ahead breakfast.
- Saute your veggies and protein. Cooking your veggies (and meat if you’re using it) in the skillet first, in a little bit of olive oil, will ensure they’re tender and juicy and cooked through completely. It’ll also add TONS of flavour!
- Whisk your eggs first. Whisking your eggs in a bowl first before adding them to the skillet will create a really silky texture in your frittata and make sure the eggs cook evenly.
- Don’t over-bake! Be sure to bake your frittata only as long as the recipe calls for. Removing it from the oven when it just becomes set will make sure your frittata is cooked through but not rubbery.
- Add some cheese! Adding some goat cheese, parmesan or other cheese to the top of your frittata right when it comes out of the oven is a great way to add some savoury flavour!
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY WHOLE-FOOD RECIPES WITH EASY COOKING TIPS?
GET MY HEALTHY WHOLE-FOOD RECIPES E-COOKBOOK!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this frittata recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite healthy breakfast recipe? I’d love to know!
Looking for more easy breakfast recipes? You’ll LOVE these!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
Easy Skillet Mushroom Spinach Frittata
- Cast Iron Skillet or other oven-safe skillet
- 1/4 pound breakfast sausage casings removed, or use 6 slices bacon (OPTIONAL)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced
- 12 eggs
- a pinch or two each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbed goat cheese substitute parmesan or cheddar, if desired
- fresh herbs and more salt and pepper for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven on the low broiler setting.
- Heat a large cast iron or other oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage (if you're using it). Cook the sausage until cooked through.
- If not using sausage, add the olive oil (skip the olive oil if you have fat in the skillet with the sausage). Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is soft and the garlic is fragrant (about 5-6 minutes).
- Add the spinach and mushrooms to the pan and toss them in the onion and garlic until the spinach wilts and the mushrooms begin to brown release their juices.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk them together well with the salt and pepper.
- Pour the eggs over the veggies in the hot skillet and turn off the heat. Sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese over top of the eggs.
- Add the pan to the oven under the low broiler for about 8 minutes, or until the eggs appear set in the centre of the pan. If 8 minutes isn't enough, watch the pan carefully through the oven door and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let sit for about 4-5 minutes before serving. This gives the frittata a chance to set fully in the middle and the cheese to soften and melt.
- Cut into 8 slices and serve with toast and/or fresh fruit, or store the slices in meal prep containers in the fridge to reheat for breakfasts throughout the week.