NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:Double Chocolate Cupcakes, or these Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes, or even these Fresh Strawberry Swirl Cupcakes. But these Dairy-Free Coconut Lime Cupcakes are not only worth all that effort, they’re maybe the tastiest dairy-free cupcakes I’ve ever had. My absolute favourite kitchen tool for making cupcakes (especially with buttercream frosting!) is a traditional KitchenAid mixer. I have THIS ONE (Amazon affiliate link), and it is by far my favourite kitchen appliance of all time. I don’t have a kitchen bursting with kitchen tools, but I’m not sure I could live without my stand mixer. If a stand mixer is way out of your league then this hand mixer (Amazon affiliate link) is the next best thing. They really do a great job and though they do require a little more work on your part, they definitely get the job done in style! And if you’re looking for a cake stand just like mine, check out THIS ONE (Amazon affiliate link). There’s really no better way to display gorgeous cakes or cupcakes like these ones than on a beautifully simple cake stand that’s also affordable!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
KITCHEN TOOLS I RECOMMEND:
Looking for more delicious desserts? You’ll LOVE these!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS SUMMER DESSERT IDEAS?
GET MY SUMMER DESSERTS E-COOKBOOK!
Dairy Free Coconut Lime Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups low fat coconut milk beverage
- 2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of two limes
For the coconut buttercream:
- 1 1/2 cups vegan butter
- zest of 1 lime
- a few drops of coconut flavouring
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- a splash of coconut milk, if needed
- lime slices and lime zest, coconut flakes for garnish
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 and prepare 18 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Divide the eggs by separating the eggs from the yolks, placing the yolks in one large bowl and the whites in another.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to the yolks and 1/2 cup sugar to the whites.
- Whip the egg whites and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy (almost hard peaks), and set aside.
- To the bowl with the yolks and sugar, add the vegetable oil, coconut milk, and flaked coconut. Whisk these together until smooth and combined.
- Add the all purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and lime zest, and fold the ingredients together using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until a batter forms.
- Add the whipped egg whites to the batter, folding them in very gently using a wire whisk or rubber spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 18 muffin cups and bake for 20-22 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
For the frosting:
- Whip the butter on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add the lime zest, coconut flavouring, and powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until a soft buttercream frosting forms.
- Add a splash of coconut milk, if needed, to create the perfect texture for piping.
- Pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes after they have cooled completely and garnish with a slice of lime and some lime zest, as well as some extra flaked coconut if desired.