Pumpkin spice cupcakes are the perfect fall dessert! They’ve got a rich pumpkin flavour with a spicy kick, but the cream cheese frosting is light and fluffy and oh so creamy. If you like anything pumpkin spice, you’re going to love this easy cupcakes recipe.
Do you love pumpkin desserts, too? Check out these recipes for Best Ever Starbucks Pumpkin Scones and Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls.
How to Make Pumpkin SpiceIf you’re the curious type, you may be wondering, “what are the spices in pumpkin spice?” The little spice containers at the grocery store are just a simple blend of a few basic fall spices:
Ingredients in Pumpkin Spice CupcakesThis pumpkin spice cupcakes recipe is inspired by Anna Olson’s Pumpkin Cupcakes, but her recipe is no longer available online. You can find many of her other recipes here. To make this easy cupcakes recipe, you’ll need: For the pumpkin spice cupcakes:
- pumpkin puree
- granulated sugar
- vegetable oil
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- fresh ginger
- ground cloves
- sea salt
- low fat cream cheese
- unsalted butter
- icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- whole milk
- turbinado sugar for garnish (optional)
- 12-cup muffin tin
- paper liners
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY STRESS-FREE HOLIDAY MEAL IDEAS AND RECIPES?
GET MY EASY NO-FAIL HOLIDAY MEALS E-COOKBOOK!
How to Make Cream Cheese FrostingMix the room temperature cream cheese and the room temperature butter on high speed in the bowl of your stand mixer (a hand-held mixer works just fine for this job too!). Add the icing sugar one cup at a time, scraping down the bowl between each addition to make sure it’s incorporated evenly. Once all the icing sugar is added add the milk one teaspoon at a time, making sure to watch the texture of the frosting carefully. If your frosting is quite soft you may only need to add 2 tsp of milk. Once the milk is added, continue to mix on high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy (about 2 more minutes). Once the cupcakes have cooled completely to room temperature, pipe the cream cheese frosting in a circular motion on top of each of the pumpkin spice cupcakes, using whatever tip you wish (or simply spread it, if that’s more your style). Don’t these pumpkin spice cupcakes look absolutely delicious?? The frosting is as fluffy as a cloud and it’s the perfect match for the deep, rich flavours of the pumpkin spice cupcakes. I just love the look of these cupcakes…they’re so beautiful and simple!
Want to try some other pumpkin spice treats? Check out these recipes for Best Ever Pumpkin Spice Bread and Pumpkin Spice Pancakes.
KITCHEN TOOLS I RECOMMEND:
Looking for more delicious desserts? You’ll LOVE these!
- Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Mascarpone Buttercream
- Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- Black Forest Icebox Cake
- Chocolate Mocha Tiramisu Icebox Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Fruit Dip
- Easy No Bake Oreo Cheesecake
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS PUMPKIN RECIPES, PLUS FALL BAKING TIPS AND TRICKS?
Get my Pumpkin Recipes E-Cookbook!
Recipe VideoWatch the video below to see exactly how I make this fall dessert. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
For the frosting:
- 6 oz low fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 2-3 tsp whole milk
- turbinado sugar for garnish optional
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare one 12-cup muffin tin with some paper liners.
- Combine the pumpkin puree, eggs, sugar and oil in a large bowl and whisk everything together until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all the dry ingredients (the flour, baking soda, spices and salt) and then dump the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, combine the wet and dry ingredients until they're just combined and the flour just disappears.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners until all the batter is distributed evenly.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- When they're done, the pumpkin spice cupcakes will be nice and puffy, with a gorgeous brown colour.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin and place them on a wire rack to cool completely while you prepare the frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Mix the room temperature cream cheese and the room temperature butter on high speed in the bowl of your stand mixer (a hand-held mixer works just fine for this job too!).
- Add the icing sugar, one cup at a time, scraping down the bowl between each addition to make sure it's incorporated evenly. Add the milk one teaspoon at a time, making sure to watch the texture of the frosting carefully. If your frosting is quite soft you may only need to add 2 tsp of milk. Once the milk is added, continue to mix on high speed until the frosting is light and fluffy (about 2 more minutes).
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely to room temperature, pipe the frosting in a circular motion on top of each cupcake using whatever tip you wish (or simply spread it, if that's more your style).
- Sprinkle some turbinado sugar over each cupcake to garnish, and serve!
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.