This Easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is the perfect make-ahead lunch for busy work or school days, and it makes a great healthy vegetarian side dish or main dish too!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
It’s almost the new year friends, and I don’t know about you but I’m already ready to move on from all that heavy, rich food we’ve been enjoying over the holidays! This Easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is the perfect way to start the new year – it’s FULL of flavour, so you won’t miss all those high-fat holiday recipes, and it’s so easy to make in just one bowl! It’s a great meal-prep recipe too!
The one thing that deters me from prepping salad-meals like this one in advance is the soggy factor. Seriously, is there anything worse than spending the time to prep healthy lunches only to open them at work or school to find they’re almost too soggy to eat? Use my tips below to make the most of your meal-prep salads!
How to make your meal-prep salads last longer:
- Keep your cherry tomatoes whole! Chopped tomatoes release a ton of water, so keeping them whole is a great way to keep your salad from ending up in cups of tomato juice. If you’re not going to enjoy the salad right away, avoid cutting into those tomatoes!
- Use sturdy vegetables! Avoid lettuce and other flimsy greens and opt for thick kale and veggies like peppers or cucumbers that don’t soften easily.
- Leave the peels on! Leaving the peels on veggies like peppers and cucumbers helps them keep their liquid rather than releasing it into the salad, and it reduces the amount of other liquid they can absorb. Plus, it adds fibre!
- Go for vegetarian protein! Chickpeas and lentils are great additions to a healthy salad since they add protein but also absorb liquid making them softer and easier to eat.
Looking for more healthy salad recipes? Make a Strawberry Spinach Pasta Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing or an Orange Berry Pomegranate Superfood Salad .
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite healthy salad recipe for the new year? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Looking for more delicious salad recipes? You’ll love these!!
- Berry Walnut Spinach Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
- Healthy Greek Yogurt Caesar Salad
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Creamy Bacon Dressing
- Quick and Easy Greek Pasta Salad
- Rainbow Vegetable Pasta Salad
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this healthy recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
Easy Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- 2-3 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups mixed cherry tomatoes, halved (or left whole, if desired)
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 long English cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- kalamata olives (optional)
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- juice of one lemon (approximately 2 tablespoons lemon juice)
- sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, kale, red onion and parsley.
- Pour the olive oil and lemon juice over the salad ingredients and add the salt and pepper.
- Toss everything together well and serve, or store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 3 days (for meal-prep).