This Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie is the perfect easy weeknight family meal! It takes just over 30 minutes from start to finish and it calls for basic ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen! It’s warm and comforting and is sure to become your family’s new favorite meal! Watch the VIDEO below to see how I make it, and don’t forget to scroll down to the end of this blog post for the FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
These days I’m all about easy meals. The kids have gone back to school, the weather has turned chilly, and all my family wants these days is good old comfort food. And I’m right there with them! There’s nothing quite like sitting down to a fragrant, piping hot Chicken Pot Pie as a family on a cool fall evening, is there?
I remember my grandma making chicken pot pie when I was a child and she would ALWAYS make it from leftover chicken, which is what inspired this Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie recipe. Of course, she carefully made the filling on the stove and then transferred everything to a pretty casserole dish and baked it to absolute perfection. But honestly? My Easy Skillet version of her Chicken Pot Pie recipe is just as good!! There’s just something about baking in a cast iron skillet that adds a ton of flavor to whatever you’re cooking and it really takes this Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie over the top!
Using a simple puff pastry dough from the freezer section of your local grocery store makes this Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie recipe even easier! Simply defrost the puff pastry in the fridge the night before and roll it out over the delicious chicken pot pie filling in your oven-safe skillet and you’re good to go! And don’t forget that egg wash! It makes the flaky topping of the pie a perfect golden brown color that no one can resist!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you like this easy recipe! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favorite easy weeknight meal these days?
Looking for even more delicious recipes? Try these ones I’ve linked below!
Try this Baked Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni (Manicotti) Pasta recipe for the ultimate EASY comfort food meal!
This One Pan Honey Garlic Chicken is SO delicious and easy to make!!
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Easy Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- a pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked chicken pieces
- 400 grams frozen mixed vegetables (about 14 oz)
- 1 large sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed and rolled out
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- fresh parsley or other herbs for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet (cast iron is best) over medium-high heat and add the butter.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute them in the butter just until softened.
- Add the thyme, basil, rosemary, paprika, and salt and pepper.
- Add the flour and stir well until the flour has coated the onion mixture.
- Add the white wine and scrape the bottom of the pan, allowing the wine to cook off for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, the cooked chicken pieces, and the frozen mixed vegetables and stir well until a sauce forms.
- Add the puff pastry to the top of the filling and tuck the edges of the puff pastry around the edge of the inside of the pan.
- Slice a few small vent holes in the top and brush the egg wash (one beaten egg mixed with 1 tablespoon of water) over the top of the puff pastry topping.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25-30 minutes or until the topping is an even golden brown.
- Let rest for about 5-7 minutes before enjoying.