This Baked Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni (Manicotti Pasta) is made with three delicious cheeses and it’s the perfect easy comfort food recipe that’s also vegetarian! Watch the video below to see how I make it, and don’t forget to stay tuned to the end of this post for the FULL PRINTABLE RECIPE!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Is there anything better than some good old cheesy comfort food on a rainy day? It’s been a rainy spring here and so as much as I’ve been enjoying all the fresh produce and making all kinds of delicious summer salads, there have been several days where salads just didn’t cut it – our family needed some old fashioned comfort food!
This Baked Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni has been one of my favourite recipes for a VERY long time. And honestly, if I had to make a list of my top 5 family meal recipes this one would be on that list. No doubt about it!
For me, it has everything you could ever want in a delicious comfort food dish: it’s relatively easy to make (perfect for beginning cooks!), it features only simple, real ingredients, and it is so delicious you need to try it to believe it. Seriously. I mentioned in a recent Instagram story (follow me here!) that this may be the one meal I couldn’t live without.
I’ve shared many of my favorite meals with you before, like this delicious Greek Chicken Souvlaki feast and my favorite Paprika Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner, but as tasty as those favorites are they don’t even come close to the rich, mellow flavors in this Baked Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni. If you’re looking for a delicious family meal with an Italian flair, this Baked Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni is the recipe for you!!
This recipe calls for 2 jars of marinara sauce, but feel free to use your own homemade marinara if you prefer. My favourite brand of marinara is Barilla (Not sponsored! I just really love their products!), and if I’m making this recipe for a mostly-adult crowd I often substitute one jar of marinara for a jar of arrabiata sauce made with some spicy red peppers; it gives this dish a little bit of warmth that is complemented so beautifully by the 3-cheese filling.
Another tip for taking this recipe to the next level: be sure to stuff the cannelloni (manicotti) shells using a piping bag! You’ll save yourself so much headache and time and it will make the process much more enjoyable (and less messy!).
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you enjoy this Baked Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni recipe! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favorite family meal recipe?
If you like this Baked Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni recipe, you’ll LOVE these deliciously family meals I have linked below!
This One-Pan Tex Mex Mac and Cheese Skillet is a deliciously cheesy family meal!
Try this Paprika Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner for an easy weeknight meal the whole family will love!
These Easy Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowls are the EASIEST weeknight meal ever!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Baked Ricotta and Spinach Cannelloni
- 450 grams Ricotta cheese (approximately 16 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- a pinch or two of salt and pepper
- 2 cloves fresh garlic (pressed or finely minced)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 box ready-to-stuff Cannelloni (Mannicotti) noodles (approximately 20 noodles per box)
- 2 380 ml jars of marinara sauce (two 13 fluid ounce jars)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and set aside a 9-inch by 13-inch rectangular casserole dish.
- Add the ricotta, egg, spinach, basil, salt and pepper, garlic, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses to a large bowl and stir together with a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Add the ricotta mixture to a piping bag with an open tip (or simply cut the tip off the bag if you don't want to use a tip) and pipe the ricotta filling into each of the ready-to-stuff Cannelloni noodles.
- Spoon approximately one-third of the marinara sauce into the bottom of the baking dish and spread it around until the bottom of the dish is well coated with sauce.
- Place the filled Cannelloni noodles into the base of the baking dish and spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the top.
- Add the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses in an even layer on the top and bake uncovered at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.