This Easy Greek Chicken Souvlaki is the easiest Chicken Souvlaki this side of Greece! An easy marinade and inexpensive chicken thighs make this dish a super simple twist on the Greek classic that the whole family will love!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
In case you haven’t noticed, I’m obsessed with Greek food. I’ve always loved it but the summer we spent in Greece in 2010 sealed the deal for me. And really, what’s not to love? The flavours are bright and simple, and the ingredients are fresh and healthy and it tastes SO good!
Have you ever gone on a trip to some exotic destination and come home determined to re-create all the delicious dishes you had a chance to enjoy while you were away? My husband and I have done a fair bit of travelling and every trip leaves me with wonderful memories and a ton of culinary inspiration.
I’ve shared some of my favourite recipe with you that have been inspired by my travels, like this delicious Chicken and Shrimp Paella, but this Easy Chicken Souvlaki takes the cake. I’ve made this recipe hundreds of times and it’s one I’ve shared countless times with friends and family and it’s always met with rave reviews. It’s a great addition to your favourite wraps or pita sandwiches or simple pasta dishes, but it’s also fantastic just on its own served with fresh homemade Tzatziki for dipping and a side of this delicious easy-peasy Greek Salad.
Since this recipe calls for chicken thighs you’ll end up with some nice little charred bits that add to the rustic flavour of this dish. This chicken is so good, and it’s such a versatile dish; when we grill this chicken on the weekend we save some for Greek-style sandwiches or paninis, wraps and salads throughout the week!
This Easy Greek Chicken Souvlaki is my simple take on a delicious Greek classic and you are going to love it!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite recipe inspired by a place you’ve travelled?
And if you’re looking for other healthy Greek recipes to make this a meal, check these out:
Kitchen Products I recommend:
Easy Greek Chicken Souvlaki
This Easy Greek Chicken Souvlaki is a delicious grilled chicken that tastes exactly like traditional Greek souvlaki!
- 8 chicken thighs all visible fat removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried Greek oregano
- salt and pepper to taste about a pinch of both
- 1-2 tbsp canola oil for skillet
- Add the chicken thighs, the olive oil, the lemon juice and the wine to a glass bowl or container. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, dried basil and oregano, and the salt and pepper.
- Toss everything together very well until it's combined and the chicken is evenly coated in the marinade. Cover the bowl or container with some plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (I've let it marinade for 4-5 hours with great results!).
- After the chicken has marinated, remove it from the fridge and preheat your grill or skillet. Once your grill or skillet is preheated (grease the skillet with the canola oil first) discard the marinade and cook the chicken on low heat for about 8-9 minutes on the first side or until the chicken has browned nicely. Don't overcrowd your skillet or grill as this will prevent the browning process, and that's where all the flavour is!
- Turn the chicken and brown on the other side until it has browned completely and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit (75 degrees Celsius). This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the grill or skillet, let it rest for about 5 minutes, and then serve it with some freshly made Tzatziki Sauce for dipping!