This Easy White Sandwich Bread is the easiest homemade bread recipe that turns out perfectly every time. It’s hearty and tender and it’s perfect for sandwiches or for dipping in soups or stews!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
It’s almost time for back-to-school and that means a 180-degree turn in my cooking and baking routine. Pretty soon I’ll be leaving behind all my favourite grilling recipes and fresh summer salads and embracing meal prep dinners for busy weeknights and lots of kid-friendly lunch recipes for school. This Easy White Sandwich Bread is my favourite stand-by homemade sandwich bread recipe for school lunches and I know you’re going to love it!
I’ve been making homemade bread for over 15 years and this Easy White Sandwich Bread Recipe is a simplified version of my grandma’s original sandwich bread recipe I enjoyed growing up. It’s a simple combination of water, yeast and honey, mixed with all purpose flour and salt, made into basic loaves and baked to crispy crust perfection!
After making homemade bread for so many years I’ve learned that using the right loaf pan makes all the difference. This large loaf pan from Jamie Oliver is my favourite loaf pan of all time (affiliate link). It’s non-stick, easy to clean, and it has high sides which creates the perfect loaf shape for sandwiches. It’s the best loaf pan I’ve ever used and I can’t recommend it highly enough!
Looking for more delicious bread recipes? Try my Easy No Knead Artisan Bread or this Easy No Knead Cinnamon Raisin Artisan Bread!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this Easy White Sandwich Bread as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite sandwich to make with classic sandwich bread? I’d love to know!
KITCHEN TOOLS I RECOMMEND:
Looking for even more delicious bread recipes? You’ll LOVE these:
Easy White Sandwich Bread
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast (or use activated dry yeast)
- 1 tablespoon honey or other vegan honey substitute
- 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
Egg Wash (optional):
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Add the water, yeast and honey to the bowl of your stand mixer and mix with a fork just until the yeast is moistened and the honey is dissolved.
- Let sit for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the bowl of the stand mixer on top of the water and yeast mixture and then add the salt.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Continue mixing on medium-low speed and let the mixer knead the dough for about 4 minutes. The dough should have formed a soft ball and the sides of the bow should be clean. Only if the dough is too wet and sticking to the side of the bowl, add a tablespoon or two more flour as it kneads.
- Shape the dough with your hands into a ball and place it back into the bowl (oil the bowl, if you wish). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 60 minutes in a warm, draft-free place.
- Grease 2 loaf pans with butter or a high-quality non-stick baking spray.
- After the dough rises, turn it out onto a floured work surface and divide it in half.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball with your hands, eventually shaping it into an oblong round shape.
- Place each piece of dough into one of the greased loaf pans and cover the pans with a clean kitchen towel.
- Let them rise again in a warm, draft-free place for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together the egg and water to make the egg wash (if using).
- Brush the egg wash over the tops of the loaves and bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25-35 minutes until the tops of the loaves are a deep golden brown colour.
- After baking, remove from the pans and place the loaves on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Slice after the loaves have cooled completely to room temperature and use to make your favourite sandwiches or serve alongside soups or stews.