This Grilled Halloumi Salad Recipe is packed with veggies, healthy protein and fats, and makes a delicious vegetarian main dish or hearty side dish.
Here at The Busy Baker healthy salads are one of our go-to all time favourite meals. And we’re not talking about those lifeless green salads made with iceberg lettuce – we mean a good, hearty salad with mixed greens, spinach, or kale, tons of fresh veggies, tasty protein, cheese, and a delicious dressing.
This Grilled Halloumi Salad Recipe is one of our favourite salads to make for lunch or dinner, and we just know you’re going to love it as much as we do!
Halloumi Cheese is a semi-hard cheese that’s made in Cyprus (near Turkey and Greece), typically made from sheep and goat’s milk. It’s popular in Mediterranean countries and throughout Europe.
Grilling Halloumi Cheese is so easy! Because of its high melting point it stays solid even when grilled. Add it to your outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium-high heat and sear on all sides just until dark golden brown.
To make this recipe you’ll need these ingredients:
- canned chickpeas
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika
- mixed greens
- red onion
- mixed cherry tomatoes
- halloumi cheese
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- dried basil
- dijon mustard
To make this recipe, you’ll need these kitchen items (affiliate links):
- a grill pan or indoor grill
- a pair of tongs
- a frying pan
- wooden or other cooking utensils
- a sturdy cutting board
- a sharp knife for chopping
- measuring spoons
- liquid measuring cups
- a salad dressing shaker or container
- salad tongs
- a salad bowl or platter
Time needed: 35 minutes
Follow these steps for the best halloumi salad!
- Roast the chickpeas.
Heat a pan on the stove, add the olive oil, chickpeas and spices. Toss well as the chickpeas get crispy.
- Slice and grill the Halloumi.
Slice and grill the Halloumi. Slice the cheese into 3/4-inch thick slices and grill for several minutes per side until dark golden brown.
- Prep the dressing.
Add all the dressing ingredients to a mason jar and shake well to combine.
- Assemble the veggies.
Add your favourite greens to a platter or bowl with the sliced onions, halved cherry tomatoes and chopped cucumbers.
- Top, and serve.
Add the chickpeas on top of the veggies, along with the grilled Halloumi. Drizzle with the dressing and serve!
HEALTHY WHOLE FOOD RECIPES AND COOKING TIPS
Get my healthy whole-food recipes e-cookbook!
What is halloumi salad?
Halloumi salad is a delicious salad packed with veggies and served with grilled halloumi cheese on top.
Is halloumi salad gluten free?
Yes! Halloumi cheese doesn’t contain gluten.
Can I make halloumi salad ahead of time?
It’s possible to make the salad ahead of time (add the dressing right before serving), but we recommend grilling the halloumi cheese right before serving so it’s warm.
Is this halloumi salad vegetarian?
Yes. Halloumi salad contains no meat products.
We hope you love this healthy salad recipe as much as we do! Let us know in the comments below, what’s your favourite healthy salad recipe? We’d love to know!
- Italian Chopped Salad Recipe
- Winter Citrus Salad Recipe
- Pomegranate Kale Quinoa Salad Recipe
- White Bean and Tomato Salad Recipe
- Strawberry Spinach Salad Recipe
- Greek Chickpea Salad Recipe
- Asian Cucumber and Carrot Salad Recipe
TRY OUR MEAL PLANS!
Let us do the work for you with 7 days of deliciously easy family dinners, grocery lists, meal prep guides and MORE!
Buy 2, save 20%!
Buy 3, save 30%!
Buy 4 or more, save 40%!
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
For the crispy chickpeas:
For the dressing:
For the salad:
- 1 large block Halloumi Cheese (approximately 1 cup)
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cucumbers sliced
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
For the chickpeas:
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chickpeas to a bowl along with the olive oil, salt, garlic powder and paprika. Toss very well to coat.
- Add the coated chickpeas to the hot pan and brown on all sides until golden and crispy (this should take approximately 8-9 minutes). Set them aside on a plate to cool.
For the dressing:
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a mason jar and shake well to combine. Set aside.
For the salad:
- Slice the Halloumi cheese into 3/4-inch thick slices and grill for several minutes per side until dark golden brown
- Add the greens to a platter or bowl with the sliced onions, halved cherry tomatoes and chopped cucumbers.
- Add the cooled chickpeas on top of the veggies, along with the grilled Halloumi. Drizzle with the dressing and serve!
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.