This Healthy Homemade Apple Chips recipe is easy to make, and homemade apple chips are the perfect healthy snack for a fall day. I know you’re going to enjoy them just as much as we do!
Need more healthy snack ideas? Make up a Berry Banana Oat Smoothie, or these Healthy Toddler Friendly Mini Muffins.
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
*I originally posted this recipe in September 2015. I’m updating the post today with new photos but the recipe is the same one my readers know and love!
In an effort to use up all my apples this fall, I decided to dust off an old recipe I haven’t made in years…like, about 10 years to be more precise. And I’ll be honest, once I was enjoying these apple chips with my kids this week I felt a little sad for all those years I wasted not making them! They’re SO delicious!
Want more easy apple recipes? Make a batch of Apple Crumble Muffins, or try this recipe for Healthy 2 Ingredient Slow Cooker Apple Butter.
Apple Chips Recipe Ingredients
To make the baked apple chips, you’ll need:
- 2-3 apples (any variety will work well)
- a pinch or two of cinnamon (optional)
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
How to make homemade apple chips
Baking your apple chips at a low heat is the first key to success – 250 degrees Fahrenheit is best.
Make sure you wash and dry your apples very well and slice them thinly using a mandoline, starting from the bottom of the apple and working your way toward the stem. This will create very thin slices that show the beautiful ‘star’ effect on the inside of the apple. If you don’t have a mandoline try to slice the apples as thinly as possible with a sharp knife. If the slices are too thick they won’t crisp up nicely.
My favourite mandoline is the OXO Good Grips Mandoline slicer (affiliate link) – it slices thinly and evenly and it’s easy to use.
Brush off any seeds, arrange the slices of apple on a parchment-lined baking sheet and lightly dust the apples with a touch of cinnamon. The cinnamon is totally optional. I’ve made these with and without the cinnamon and they’re fantastic both ways.
Bake the apple slices on low heat and flip them when they’re almost done (details in the recipe card below).
Let them cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a plate or cooling rack to cool completely before putting them in a bowl. This will ensure they stay crispy!
My kids absolutely love these baked apple chips and so do I. They’re the perfect healthy snack, they’re easy to take on-the-go, and they’re also fun to make with kids!
I hope you enjoy this apple chips recipe! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite easy healthy snack recipe? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Looking for even more delicious recipes? Check out these!
Healthy Apple Chips Recipe
- 2-3 apples
- 1-2 pinches ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Start by washing and drying your apples. Slice them using the mandoline, starting from the bottom of the apple and working your way toward the stem. This will create very thin slices that show the beautiful 'star' effect on the inside of the apple. If you don't have a mandoline try to slice the apples as thinly as possible with a sharp knife. If the slices are too thick they won't crisp up nicely.
- Brush off any seeds, arrange the slices of apple on a parchment-lined baking sheet and lightly dust the apples with a touch of cinnamon.
- Space evenly on a baking sheet, trying not to overlap the edges of the apples.
- Place pan into oven and bake for 45 minutes; flip slices and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until apples are dry and golden brown.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.