This Easy One Pot Tex Mex Mac and Cheese is the perfect easy, cheesy weeknight family meal! It’s got all the flavors of everyone’s favorite tacos and the simplicity of a one pot pasta that’s sure to please the whole family!
We love anything Mexican-style in our family (like these Oven Chicken Fajitas, these Mexican-Style Quinoa Stuffed Peppers or this Easy Mexican Tortilla Soup), so I was determined to give one of our favourite family meals, homemade mac and cheese, a healthy Tex-Mex makeover and the results were amazing!!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest!
This Easy One Pot Tex Mex Mac and Cheese is everything its name suggests: it’s a super easy recipe that you can make in one skillet, it’s perfectly cheesy, and it’s got all the delicious Mexican-style flavors that, let’s be honest, make anything taste good!
Looking for more family meals? Try this One-Pan Shrimp and Chicken Paella or this Easy Healthy Shrimp Scampi!
I usually use lean ground beef for this Easy One Pot Tex Mex Mac and Cheese but I’ve also used ground chicken and ground turkey with great success. And if you’re looking for a way to make it a little more on the healthy side, feel free to use a lower fat cheese. It’ll still be deliciously creamy but it’ll be a little easier on the waistline.
Fresh peppers and diced tomatoes are also a healthy addition to this one pot meal, and even using whole grain pasta would be a great way to increase the amount of healthy fibre in each serving. But if you’re not overly concerned with keeping it light using your favorite cheese and pasta is a surefire way to make it as delicious as possible!
Looking for even more healthy family meal ideas? Check out this Butternut Squash Pasta or these Paprika Chicken Thighs with Roasted Root Vegetables and Kale!
We love to enjoy this Easy One Pot Tex Mex Mac and Cheese with a dollop of sour cream on top with some fresh cilantro, but it’s also delicious with diced avocado and even some black beans added in for something extra. The possibilities are endless with this easy dish, so make it your own!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest!
And if you’ve been paying attention to any of my posts in the last year or so you’ll know that my husband sticks to a dairy-free diet, so you might be thinking, “how can HE enjoy this Easy One Pot Tex Mex Mac and Cheese?”
I’m happy to report that I’ve made this recipe many times completely dairy-free with the addition of coconut yogurt and soy cheese instead of Greek yogurt and regular cheese. It works out just as well and it means that our whole family can enjoy it!
But really, the absolute best part about this Easy One Pot Tex Mex Mac and Cheese is that it all comes together in under 30 minutes so dinner will be on the table in no time! Our family gobbles this up, and with 2 pre-schoolers at the table, that’s saying something!! I know your family will love it too!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you enjoy this delicious Easy One Pot Tex Mex Mac and Cheese recipe! Let me know in the comments below, what other easy one pot meals would you like to see on thebusybaker.ca?
Kitchen tools I recommend:
Looking for other easy weeknight meal recipes? You’ll LOVE these!
- Easy One Pot Pasta Primavera
- Creamy Enchilada One Pot Pasta
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Skillet French Onion Stuffed Chicken
- Skillet Pesto Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Breasts with White Wine Mushroom Sauce
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this fast weeknight meal. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Easy One Pot Tex Mex Mac and Cheese
- 3/4 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1 green pepper , diced
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 300 grams rigatoni pasta
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- low fat sour cream and chopped cilantro for serving
- Brown the ground beef in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. When it's almost cooked through add the taco seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, onion and green pepper and saute until the meat is finished cooking and the pepper and onion are soft.
- Remove the beef mixture from the skillet and add the diced tomatoes and beef stock to the hot skillet over high heat.
- Add the pasta to the hot liquid and let the pasta cook as the liquid reduces. Stir every minute or so in order to promote even cooking.
- Once the liquid has almost completely reduced and the pasta is cooked to al dente, stir in the Greek yogurt.
- Add the cheese and toss until the cheese is melted.
- Add the meat mixture back into the skillet with the pasta, stirring to combine.
- Garnish with some bits of chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream and serve it up in all its cheesy glory!