This Wrapped Asparagus with Bacon makes the perfect easy make-ahead side dish for holiday dinners or weeknight meals. Only a few simple ingredients, and ready in under 25 minutes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Asparagus is one of my favourite vegetables and it makes the perfect side dish for a fancier weeknight meal or a holiday feast. Our family LOVES this Wrapped Asparagus with Bacon and we enjoy it on the regular, but it’s also a great holiday side dish that can be prepped up to 36 hours in advance! Trust me, you’re going to love it as much as we do!
Ingredients for Wrapped Asparagus with Bacon
- fresh asparagus spears
- bacon slices
- soy sauce
- brown sugar
- garlic powder
- cracked black pepper
How to Make Wrapped Asparagus with Bacon
Here’s how to make this easy side dish!
- Choose fresh asparagus. Forget the frozen asparagus – fresh asparagus is the way to go for this dish. Fresh asparagus will hold its shape and release very little liquid compared to frozen, yielding a great texture.
- Trim the asparagus. Use a sharp knife to trim the last inch or so off the bottom of the asparagus spears. You could snap the bottoms off by hand, but for presentation it’s best to use a knife so the spears are all uniform.
- Choose high-quality bacon. This is not the recipe to use up the last of that bacon in the freezer you found on sale. Choose 16 slices of thick-cut, high-quality bacon. Trust me, you won’t be sorry you did!
- Mix up the simple sauce. Whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce and garlic powder and brush it on to the asparagus bundles.
- Line your pan with parchment paper. Place the bundles on a lined baking sheet to prevent sticking.
- Don’t forget the pepper. Crack a little bit of black pepper over the bundles before
- Serve immediately. Don’t let this wrapped asparagus sit for too long after cooking. Prepare the bundles up to 36 hours in advance, store in the fridge, and then brush with the sauce and bake right before serving for best results.
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY STRESS-FREE HOLIDAY MEAL IDEAS AND RECIPES?
GET MY EASY NO-FAIL HOLIDAY MEALS E-COOKBOOK!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this asparagus recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite side dish for the holidays? I’d love to know!
KITCHEN PRODUCTS I RECOMMEND:
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY WHOLE-FOOD RECIPES WITH EASY COOKING TIPS?
GET MY HEALTHY WHOLE-FOOD RECIPES E-COOKBOOK!
Wrapped Asparagus with Bacon
- 40 asparagus spears (approximately 2 bundles)
- 16 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Slice the tough ends off the bottom of the asparagus spears with a sharp knife.
- Take 5 asparagus spears and wrap 2 slices of bacon around each one. Repeat until you've made 8 bundles. Set the bundles on the prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk together the brown sugar, soy sauce, and garlic powder in a small bowl and brush the mixture onto the asparagus bundles generously.
- Sprinkle some freshly cracked black pepper over the bundles.
- Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for about 12-15 minutes, or until the asparagus has softened and the bacon is lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.