These Cucumber Appetizers with Smoked Salmon are the perfect light and healthy snack – low carb & flavoured with lemon and fresh herbs!
We love a good appetizer – especially one that’s both fresh and healthy. These Cucumber Appetizers with Smoked Salmon are the perfect light bite for all your parties and get-togethers, and they’re both gluten-free and low carb!
Two of the most useful tools for taking a simple recipe like this to the next level are a simple piping bag and an open star piping tip (affiliate links). Piping the cream cheese mixture on top of the salmon and cucumber is such an easy step, and adding a little sprig of dill for garnish makes these Cucumber Appetizers feel a little extra fancy. And who doesn’t love that!?
You’ll also need these kitchen items to make this recipe (affiliate links):
HEALTHY WHOLE FOOD RECIPES AND COOKING TIPS
Get my healthy whole-food recipes e-cookbook!
If you’re looking for even more delicious appetizer recipes that are as fresh and delicious as these Cucumber Appetizers, try this Easy Whipped Feta Dip, this Bacon Ranch Jalapeno Cheese Ball, or this Cranberry Pomegranate Baked Brie!
- long English cucumber
- smoked salmon
- cream cheese
- heavy cream
- lemon juice and zest
- fresh dill
- fresh chives
- fresh parsley
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Time needed: 25 minutes
Follow these tips for the perfect healthy appetizer!
- Use room temperature dairy.
Starting with room temperature cream cheese and cream will create a very creamy mixture and help the mixture pipe easily. If you find it’s too soft, simply pop it back in the fridge to firm up for a few minutes.
- Whip the cream cheese and heavy cream first.
Create an ultra creamy mixture before adding the herbs for flavour.
- Use fresh herbs.
Using fresh herbs instead of dried herbs in this recipe makes it taste so much more fresh and delicious. If you have to use dried herbs, use only 1 teaspoon each (1 teaspoon dried = 1 tablespoon fresh).
- Refrigerate the cheese mixture.
For added flavour intensity, refrigerate the cheese mixture before assembling (optional) for anywhere between one hour and 24 hours.
- Slice the salmon and cucumbers right before serving.
Slicing the cucumbers and salmon right before serving will ensure peak freshness.
- Pipe the cheese mixture for a beautiful presentation.
Use a piping bag with a star tip to pipe the cheese mixture onto the cucumbers and salmon to create a fancy presentation.
- Garnish with fresh dill.
Add a sprig of fresh dill or some chopped chives as a garnish.
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes! Simply prepare the cream cheese mixture ahead of time, place it in the fridge, and then let it sit at room temperature for about 10-15 minutes before piping it onto the cucumber slices and salmon before serving. In fact, the flavours in the cream cheese mixture intensify when left overnight so making it the day before is a good idea!
Can I make this recipe vegetarian?
Yes! Simply leave out the smoked salmon and top the cucumber slices with the cream cheese mixture. This recipe is delicious with and without the smoked salmon slices.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! Let us know in the comment below, what’s your favourite easy appetizer recipe? We’d love to know!
TRY OUR MEAL PLANS!
Let us do the work for you with 7 days of deliciously easy family dinners, grocery lists, meal prep guides and MORE!
Buy 2, save 20%!
Buy 3, save 30%!
Buy 4 or more, save 40%!
If you made this, share a photo!
Are you trying this recipe? Use the comment form below to share your take; now with support for image uploads and comment voting!
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy cream at room temperature
- juice and zest of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 long english cucumber
- 5 ounces smoked salmon
- dill sprigs for garnish (or use extra chopped chives for garnish) optional
- Combine the cream cheese and heavy cream in a bowl with a hand mixer on medium speed (or use your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment) until creamy and smooth.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, dill, chives, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix well until combined and the mixture is creamy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure everything is well incorporated and add the mixture to a piping bag fitted with an open star tip (or other tip of your choice).
- You can let the cream cheese mixture sit in the fridge for an hour or even overnight to let the flavours intensify, OR assemble right away.
- Slice the cucumber into 24 thick slices.
- Slice the smoked salmon into squares approximately the same size as the cucumber slices.
- Place one piece of the salmon onto each cucumber slice and arrange them on a tray or board for serving.
- Pipe a dollop of the cream cheese mixture onto each of the cucumber slices with salmon.
- Top with a small sprig of fresh dill or some finely chopped chives.
- Serve immediately, or store in the fridge assembled up to 2 hours before serving.
Make Ahead InstructionsPrepare the cream cheese mixture up to 24 hours ahead of serving. Store in the fridge and let sit for 10-15 minutes at room temperature before slicing the cucumber and salmon and assembling.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.