This Easy Apple Berry Fruit Crisp is the perfect easy dessert for beginning bakers! Just a few simple ingredients stand between you and this delicious, healthier dessert!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
Have you ever made a fruit crisp before? It’s one of those recipes that most families seem to have a unique version of, but if yours doesn’t then you’ve come to the right place today! I’ve shared my Classic Slow Cooker Apple Crisp recipe with you already, but this Easy Apple Berry Fruit Crisp is a delicious oven-friendly version that’s equally easy to make and done in a much shorter time. Oh, and it’s PACKED with delicious berries too, so what could be better than that??
If you’re a fruit crisp rookie, I’ll share FIVE of my favourite fruit crisp tips with you to help you have some good old fruit crisp success in your own kitchen:
- Be sure to add a bit of cornstarch to the filling!! It helps create a velvety smooth sauce as the fruit cooks and releases its juices and prevents the topping from getting soggy.
- Use at least some fruit that holds its shape while baking. Berries tend to completely fall apart when baked but apples usually hold their shape pretty well. If you’re wanting a fruit crisp that’s full of berries, add some apples along with them.
- Grease your pan generously! Nobody likes burnt-on fruit, so use a generous amount of butter, margarine, or any other dairy-free butter you’d like and grease that pan!
- Don’t forget the spices! Ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and even ground ginger are good choices and they can take a boring old fruit crisp to something spectacular!
- Bake covered and then uncovered! Bake covered for the first half of baking for an ultra soft and tender topping, then remove the cover for the last half of baking for the perfect amount of browning and crispness!
We love this Easy Apple Berry Fruit Crisp recipe fresh out of the oven with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream. I mean, come on!! What could be better than that!?!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you enjoy this Easy Apple Berry Fruit Crisp recipe! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite easy dessert recipe?
Before you grab this delicious Easy Apple Berry Fruit Crisp recipe at the end of this blog post, check out some of my other favourites below!
This Healthy 2-Ingredient Slow Cooker Apple Butter is one of my readers’ favorite recipes!
This Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Cobbler is an easy-to-make dessert that’s packed with fresh fruit!
Our family LOVES this Easy Classic Peach Pie!!
Kitchen products I recommend:
Easy Apple Berry Crisp
This Easy Apple Berry Fruit Crisp is the perfect easy dessert for beginning bakers! Just a few simple ingredients stand between you and this delicious, healthier dessert! Make it with fresh or frozen fruit, and gluten-free!
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon butter (for greasing the pan)
- 3 large apples (Pink Lady, Honeycrisp or Spartan work well), cored and cut into chunks
- 3-4 cups mixed berries (fresh or frozen raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup white sugar
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup large flake oats (or rolled oats)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour (gluten-free oat flour also works)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with the butter.
Add the apple chunks, mixed berries, sugar and cornstarch to the baking dish and toss with a wooden spoon until well combined and the cornstarch and sugar are coating the fruit.
In a medium bowl, add the white and brown sugar, the oats, the flour, the cinnamon and the salt and stir well come combine.
Add the melted butter and stir until well combined.
Pour the topping evenly over the fruit mixture in the baking pan.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Remove the aluminum foil after 20 minutes and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the fruit filling is bubbly.
Let sit at room temperature for about 5-10 minutes before serving with vanilla ice cream.