This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup is the perfect easy soup recipe made with basic pantry ingredients! It’s creamy, smooth and it’s easy to make in 20 minutes!
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
This Instant Pot Tomato Soup is the PERFECT homemade tomato soup recipe that’s ultra creamy, packed with flavour, and easy to make in about 20 minutes! And if you’re a tomato soup fan you’ll probably already know that’s just enough time to throw together some grilled cheese sandwiches – because every good bowl of tomato soup needs a grilled cheese sandwich for dipping, am I right??!
One of our family’s absolute favourite meals ever is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. If your family is anything like mine you probably grew up eating tomato soup from a can, but since we’ve moved to Europe we’ve said goodbye to our favourite canned tomato soup and begun to enjoy homemade tomato soup on the regular…and we’re not even sad about it!
Is Instant Pot Tomato Soup healthy?
This Instant Pot Tomato Soup is SO much tastier than tomato soup from a can, and it’s a lot healthier too – with basic, whole-food ingredients like onion, garlic, spices, tomato puree, chicken or vegetable stock, and milk or cream. No preservatives, no added sugars, and it freezes well for quick and easy weeknight dinners! Trust me, you’re going to LOVE it!
Is Instant Pot Tomato Soup vegan?
You can easily make this Instant Pot Tomato Soup vegan or dairy-free by adding coconut milk instead of cream, and by replacing the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
Can I freeze tomato soup?
Yes! Freeze this soup in airtight containers for up to 2 months. It makes a great make-ahead meal for busy weeknights!
LOOKING FOR MORE KID-APPROVED MEALS?
Get my 1-Week Kid-Friendly Meal Plan for busy families!
How to Make Instant Pot Tomato Soup
Making tomato soup in the Instant Pot is so easy!
- Start with onion and garlic. Soften the onion and garlic on sauté mode in a little bit of olive oil to add tons of flavour!
- Add some spices. A little bit of dried basil, some salt and pepper add a lot of flavour to this soup!
- Don’t forget the wine! Deglazing the pot with a splash of white wine adds a TON of flavour, but it’s totally optional. Replace the wine with chicken or vegetable stock if you prefer.
- Use vegetable or chicken stock. Either stock works in this recipe, so choose what you prefer!
- Cook on high pressure. This soup only takes 5 minutes to cook on high pressure!
- Add the cream or milk. Once you release the pressure, add the cream or milk and puree. Feel free to substitute the dairy with coconut milk to make this soup vegan or dairy-free!
- Add fresh herbs. Chop up some fresh basil and add it to the soup when serving (this is totally optional).
- Serve! Use your favourite bowls and serve with a grilled cheese sandwich for dipping!
What should I serve with tomato soup?
- Some crusty bread (try my Easy No-Knead Artisan Bread recipe!)
- Homemade rolls or buns (try my Best Ever Buttermilk Buns recipe!)
- Cheesy Bacon Cornbread Muffins
- Healthy Low Fat Cornbread
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Creamy Spinach Salad
NEVER MISS A POST! FOLLOW ME ON:
I hope you love this soup recipe as much as we do! Let me know in the comments below, what’s your favourite easy homemade soup recipe? I’d love to know!
Kitchen Products I Recommend:
Looking for more healthy soup recipes? Check out these delicious recipes below!
- Beef Barley Soup with Kale
- Crock Pot Cabbage Soup
- Mexican Tortilla Soup
- Crock Pot Lemon Ginger Chicken Soup
- Best Ever Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
- Rustic Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp Soup
- Crock Pot Potato Bacon Leek Soup
- Homemade Hungarian Goulash Soup
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN MEAL IDEAS?
Get my 1-week Vegetarian Meal Plan E-Cookbook!
Watch the video below to see exactly how I make this recipe. You can find more delicious recipe videos on my YouTube channel.
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional, or replace with more stock)
- 2 1/4 cups tomato puree (approximately 500 grams)
- 3 cups vegetable stock (or use chicken stock, if you prefer)
- 2/3 cup half and half cream (or use regular milk, or coconut milk to make it dairy free)
- fresh basil for serving (optional)
- Start the Instant Pot on "Saute" mode and let it heat up. Wait until the screen says "Hot" and then add the olive oil, onion, and garlic.
- Saute for about 3 minutes, until the onions are soft and start to become translucent. Add the basil, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add the white wine and scrape any caramelized bits off the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- When the wine has almost entirely evaporated, add tomato puree and then the stock, stirring well.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and seal the lid. Place the release valve on "sealing".
- Cook for 5 minutes on "Pressure Cook". The Instant Pot will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure.
- When the Pressure Cook time is finished, carefully turn the release valve to "venting" (using a long pair of tongs or another long kitchen tool so you don't burn your hand, arm or face. It's a good idea to do this under an exhaust fan in your kitchen, if you have one.) and release the pressure manually.
- When the pressure has released, open the lid, add the cream (or milk, or coconut milk) and blend with an immersion blender.
- Serve while hot with some freshly chopped basil leaves (optional)